HALLOWEEN SALE - UP TO 25% OFF - USE CODE: NOTRICKS14 (24 HOURS LEFT)
October 18, 2008 @ 07:16 AM
freshonabudget

Hey Guys,

Maybe you can enlighten me. What is it that you prefer in an SLR shot opposed to a regular point and shoot? Do you really see that much of a difference. Let me know what makes an SLR better. Thanks!
October 18, 2008 @ 05:45 PM
randomgrandeur

It's standard as a member of hypebeast to carry around a D40 with standard lens, son.

...but jokes aside, there are some definite differences, but I'll let the "real" photography aficionados answer that.
October 19, 2008 @ 03:07 PM
capt_save_a_h0

yes there is a pretty big difference, not to say there are not some really nice P&S cameras that take quality pics like the Cannon G9. Generally speaking SLR cameras have larger sensors, you can change lenses, and you look through the viewfinder so you know exactly what the picture is going to look like instead of an LCD screen where there is a slight difference in the picture on the lcd and the end product. And more mega pixels don't mean better quality.

Taken with 6.1 mega pixel SLR [Nikon D40]

Taken with 8 MP P&S [Fuji Finepix z100 ]

October 19, 2008 @ 03:09 PM
KICKROCKS

interchangeable lenses

Pixels don't really mean anything in terms of quality. It's just how big you can get prints.
October 19, 2008 @ 03:27 PM
pnsho

My P&S sucks, but that's due mainly to my lack of knowledge on how to take (good) shots with a DSC T7.

And SLRs are out of my price range.
October 19, 2008 @ 03:31 PM
dynamiteden

^ You can buy a refurbished SLR body for cheap and just invest in getting a good lens.
October 19, 2008 @ 04:09 PM
ARTZ

you also get more control over the picture
October 19, 2008 @ 04:21 PM
pnsho

^ You can buy a refurbished SLR body for cheap and just invest in getting a good lens.

Good look.

you also get more control over the picture

True. The SLR pictures seem to look much better. I've only had decent clear shots with my P&S a couple of times; other than that, they're all blurry.
October 19, 2008 @ 10:16 PM
indirectdelete

As said, SLR's have larger sensors, which means much better noise performance. Higher ISO's look fine with larger sensors. SLR's also are much faster than point and shoots, which have shutter lag and take a long time to focus. And again, as someone else said, you can change lenses with SLRs. In many people's opinions that's the only reason to get one.
October 20, 2008 @ 02:31 PM
freshonabudget

Thanks alot guys. I guess you would have to really be into photography in order to get some of the kind shots that you guys post on here. I will do my best with my point and shoot tho....dont get me wrong... i would love to take pics like all of you guys...but imo it may be a waste of money if i only shoot once in a blue....
October 22, 2008 @ 05:21 AM
araw at bituin

My P&S sucks, but that's due mainly to my lack of knowledge on how to take (good) shots with a DSC T7.

And SLRs are out of my price range.

oo man someone else out there has a dsct7 too lol. i get really good pics with mine sometimes. i think its just because its so damn tiny.

anyways. i use my dads d80/ 18-200 vr [10.2mp] most of the time and i get much better pics than my friend does with his 10mp point and shoot

http://instagram.com/qyel

October 23, 2008 @ 12:14 PM
pnsho

^ DSC-T7 really does suck. It's slow, and you can't take any good shots at night.

The best shots I've taken with it are of NYC skyscrapers.
November 2, 2008 @ 08:26 PM
f|2esh86

if you do only have a P&S for the love of god get a tripod !! !!!!
November 11, 2008 @ 09:23 PM
gaozilla

Theres a lot more to taking good photographs besides a large sensor or 45678 megapixels ..

The advantages of an SLR is of course the clarity from the larger sensor, more control over the lens (iso, aperture, shutter speed) ..

The advantages of a decent point and shoot .. the convenience of having a small camera to whip out whenever you want so that you don't miss a good shot.

Personally, i prefer my tiny point and shoot over my dslr. Although i love the shots that come out of my dslr, its just a bitch to carry around all the time. I cant just stick it in my pocket and walk out of the door. My point and shoot on the other hand can be carried around anywhere, and I dont have to worry about it falling on the ground or getting scratched all the time like a dslr.

you can take a good picture with anything, though.

nikon d50 slr:

nikon coolpix s1 point and shoot:
November 11, 2008 @ 09:27 PM
dynamiteden

^ hahahahaha
November 12, 2008 @ 09:02 AM
SK1

I second that you can get a good photo out of anything, it all depends on your creativity. However, I think the SLR takes higher quality shots, and you get a lot more control. Being able to manually focus is the best. smile
November 12, 2008 @ 11:23 AM
Jim Jardashian

Theres a lot more to taking good photographs besides a large sensor or 45678 megapixels ..

The advantages of an SLR is of course the clarity from the larger sensor, more control over the lens (iso, aperture, shutter speed) ..

The advantages of a decent point and shoot .. the convenience of having a small camera to whip out whenever you want so that you don't miss a good shot.

Personally, i prefer my tiny point and shoot over my dslr. Although i love the shots that come out of my dslr, its just a bitch to carry around all the time. I cant just stick it in my pocket and walk out of the door. My point and shoot on the other hand can be carried around anywhere, and I dont have to worry about it falling on the ground or getting scratched all the time like a dslr.

you can take a good picture with anything, though.

nikon d50 slr:

nikon coolpix s1 point and shoot:

How'd you get your S1 to look so better than mine?
November 12, 2008 @ 11:51 AM
F/22

there is a difference
depends i mean theres thousands of point an shoots an half wouldnt even match up to a dslr.

Simple terms you have control in a dslr. If you dont know how to control a dslr then a p&s is better.
November 18, 2008 @ 04:53 AM
skidknee

there is a difference
depends i mean theres thousands of point an shoots an half wouldnt even match up to a dslr.

Simple terms you have control in a dslr. If you dont know how to control a dslr then a p&s is better.

Coming from someone with the username F/22, I'm quite disappointed with your lack of eloquence in answering the topic thread question.

Please login first to reply.