January 26, 2008 @ 11:07 AM
ClockworkJ

Anyone else on here experimented with infrared photography? I just picked up a cokin infrared filter over christmas, I havent had much time to really get to grips with it yet, but the results so far are pretty interesting.

Ignore the compostion and subject matter, I just took these to try and get to grips with the filter as its a bit tricky to get the exposure right (very long shutter speeds required!).
As for the light contamination/blur, I still dont know whether thats due to the lense Im using, or whether I just over exposed.

First shot

Same shot with white balance corrected

Second Shot

Same shot with white balance corrected
January 26, 2008 @ 12:02 PM
Peter Suh

I was looking for a dedicated point/shoot IR camera because I didn't want to mod the sensor on my XTi. There are some really nice IR shots out there. It's just another way to have creative shots. I attended a seminar by Hanson Fong and he even had some shots from a wedding set in IR!
January 26, 2008 @ 12:07 PM
ClockworkJ

I was looking for a dedicated point/shoot IR camera because I didn't want to mod the sensor on my XTi. There are some really nice IR shots out there. It's just another way to have creative shots. I attended a seminar by Hanson Fong and he even had some shots from a wedding set in IR!

You shouldnt have to mod your camera, Ive seen plenty of stunning shots taken with unmodded dslrs, Im just using a standard D80 here. The main thing is to get a good filter and use a lense that works well with IR. Im sure your cannon should do the job.
January 26, 2008 @ 01:08 PM
KICKROCKS

I was looking at an Opteka HD/Infra. filter last night...

ahh, the things that can be done with it

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-720nm-Infrared-X-Ray-Filter/dp/B000MCVQ90
January 26, 2008 @ 09:58 PM
gamesnacks

^ LOL ^
January 27, 2008 @ 08:15 PM
skam

yo clock,

I heard that you needed a camera that could read the films code.
not sure if this applies to all older models, am looking to getting a roll but not sure if will work with my canon ae-1.
also do you need a filter to get the textured colors or whats the purpose behind the filter.
January 27, 2008 @ 11:49 PM
$tevO

interesting turnout on those shots Clockwork...I'll have to look a lil more into that
January 28, 2008 @ 07:52 AM
ClockworkJ

yo clock,

I heard that you needed a camera that could read the films code.
not sure if this applies to all older models, am looking to getting a roll but not sure if will work with my canon ae-1.
also do you need a filter to get the textured colors or whats the purpose behind the filter.

I use a digital SLR (nikon d80) so no film is involved, but as far as I know in order to get the same results with a film camera you have to use special film as well as the filter. Im not sure how the film works, but I presume its only sensitive to IR light. As for the filter, you need the filter to block out regular light so you only have infrared passing through to the camera's sensors.
My advice would be to just give it a shot, try and get hold of some film ( I dont think it can be that expensive) and get yourself a filter and just go for it. I would reccommend getting a cokin filter (99b) and a cokin filter holder kit that way you can use the filter on multiple lenses, because some lenses work better than others.
January 28, 2008 @ 09:20 AM
magneticman

i've been thinking about trying some filters, maybe UV or skylight..
January 28, 2008 @ 09:35 AM
Peter Suh

Clockwork, can you reveal the ISO and exposure length?
January 28, 2008 @ 09:41 AM
ClockworkJ

Clockwork, can you reveal the ISO and exposure length?

Hmm cant quite remember but at a guess Id say 2 or 3 minutes exposure with maybe 200 ISO at f5. I was really just guessing so I tried out quite a lot of things, but I think around 2 minutes with 200 and quite a high aperture on this one, but I cant be sure, sorry.

UV doesnt really do much, maybe makes the pictues slighty crisper but thats about it, I use UV filters mainly just to stop my lenses getting scratched. If you want to experiment with filters get a cokin filter kit, that way you can fit it on all your lenses, good filters can cost a fair bit and its daft when itll only fit one lense.
January 28, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
ClockworkJ

UV doesnt really do much, maybe makes the pictues slighty crisper but thats about it, I use UV filters mainly just to stop my lenses getting scratched. If you want to experiment with filters get a cokin filter kit, that way you can fit it on all your lenses, good filters can cost a fair bit and its daft when itll only fit one lense.
January 28, 2008 @ 10:19 AM
Peter Suh

^Modding a camera gives you the ability to use hand-holdable exposure times.

From LifePixel:
- Digital Infrared Photography
With the advent of digital cameras it is now possible to photograph infrared light with your digital camera and greatly simplify the infrared photography process. The latest digital cameras are sensitive to infrared light, so much so that manufacturers place a hot mirror filter in front of the sensor to block infrared light to prevent infrared IR light from spoiling regular photographs. It is still possible to shoot digital infrared photography with an unmodified digital camera but the exposures become quite long and in most cases require a tripod, not to mention the need to place an infrared filter in front of the lens to block visible light. All this sure doesn't help the creative infrared photography process.

With our digital infrared photography conversion it is now possible to photograph infrared images hand held at low ISO speeds and without the need for infrared filters. Since you no longer need to use an infrared filter in front of the lens it is much easier to change lenses, compose and focus. To learn more about our infrared conversion services please go to our Digital Infrared Conversion FAQ page.

Edit: I know it's expensive.. but I've seen modded point/shoots go for $150-$200 on eBay.
January 30, 2008 @ 05:12 AM
ClockworkJ

^Modding a camera gives you the ability to use hand-holdable exposure times.

From LifePixel:
- Digital Infrared Photography
With the advent of digital cameras it is now possible to photograph infrared light with your digital camera and greatly simplify the infrared photography process. The latest digital cameras are sensitive to infrared light, so much so that manufacturers place a hot mirror filter in front of the sensor to block infrared light to prevent infrared IR light from spoiling regular photographs. It is still possible to shoot digital infrared photography with an unmodified digital camera but the exposures become quite long and in most cases require a tripod, not to mention the need to place an infrared filter in front of the lens to block visible light. All this sure doesn't help the creative infrared photography process.

With our digital infrared photography conversion it is now possible to photograph infrared images hand held at low ISO speeds and without the need for infrared filters. Since you no longer need to use an infrared filter in front of the lens it is much easier to change lenses, compose and focus. To learn more about our infrared conversion services please go to our Digital Infrared Conversion FAQ page.

Edit: I know it's expensive.. but I've seen modded point/shoots go for $150-$200 on eBay.

Thats pretty cool, but its a bit expensive, it would be interesting to compare shots taken with a standard camera and a modded camera though.

Please login first to reply.