Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
November 15, 2011 @ 02:28 AM
laxlife1234

No problem man, I'll be here to help... Well I got my first DSLR about 7(confused months ago? But I've been into photography the past couple of years. So technically I started it a couple years back, but I only got really into it when I got my first DSLR.

Ever consider film btw? you can find cheap film cameras you know... like <$100 including lenses. IMO go wth a canon AE-1 if you are to get a film camera.

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

November 18, 2011 @ 04:24 AM

Inactive

canon vs sigma 50mm f1.4, which one's better?
November 18, 2011 @ 05:52 AM
Anti-Hero

google and POTN can resolve questions like that.

The Sigma has a high lemon rate, as most of them have highly inaccurate AF when shot wide open. But the sigma has a more up to date and bulkier build, with a 72mm front element, and a more round/pleasing bokeh and OOF area. The canon is more dependable when it comes to AF and is much smaller in size.

They both have a huge learning curve, but the sigma has a higher one imo. I went with the sigma personally, and was pleased. It was a headache at first to micro adjust it to my body for it to properly AF, but it was amazing after that.

If you get either, you should use a tripod or have really steady hands for low-light hand held shots that are wide open, that is where most user error occurs.

flickr.com/leavetownrightnow/

November 18, 2011 @ 06:08 AM
denpa

i need advice on what (inexpensive) 35mm point and shoots i should get, i've been looking at the olympus xa's and the canon autoboy's? any other ones i've been overlooking?

電波

November 18, 2011 @ 02:11 PM
Rema

Is it worth waiting till the week before Christmas, after Christmas or January sales before buying new body and lens?
November 18, 2011 @ 10:11 PM

Inactive

im waiting till black friday instead of boxing day since the lenses at b&h's prices are cheaper than vistek
November 18, 2011 @ 11:57 PM
Rema

Shame, I don't think many retailers in the UK do this.
November 19, 2011 @ 01:20 AM

Inactive

What do you mean by 'this'?
November 19, 2011 @ 01:39 AM
laxlife1234

This. Also take into account even when shooting with 1.4 at any available light I'd use a tripod for the best results. 1.2 has a razor thin DOF coming in at about. 2" so 1.4 will have probably .5" dof. Otherwise I agree go with sigma not only is it te hnically a better lens but it has a 5 year warranty iirc. If you can look for them and find them in a store try them out. Either one and I would think you would like the results cause IMO the 50 is one of the best lenses for the money.

google and POTN can resolve questions like that.

The Sigma has a high lemon rate, as most of them have highly inaccurate AF when shot wide open. But the sigma has a more up to date and bulkier build, with a 72mm front element, and a more round/pleasing bokeh and OOF area. The canon is more dependable when it comes to AF and is much smaller in size.

They both have a huge learning curve, but the sigma has a higher one imo. I went with the sigma personally, and was pleased. It was a headache at first to micro adjust it to my body for it to properly AF, but it was amazing after that.

If you get either, you should use a tripod or have really steady hands for low-light hand held shots that are wide open, that is where most user error occurs.

November 19, 2011 @ 01:51 AM
Rema

Black friday sales
November 19, 2011 @ 03:54 AM

Inactive

can you post up some photos produced using the sigma 50mm f1.4, thanks in advance.
November 19, 2011 @ 04:08 AM
Anti-Hero

These were shot wide open with my 50, i believe these shot just how thin that DOF is

November 19, 2011 @ 04:48 AM
laxlife1234

Here's the 50L @ 1.2. totally different lens, but it's similar. The DOF is really razor thin. Just be aware that wide open @ 1.4 and the lens wont be that sharp until you stop down to about 2.0.

November 20, 2011 @ 08:49 PM

Inactive

Never mind, I'm not holding off photography, I want to start young, so I have yet another question, is it wise, as a first dslr, to buy into the more advanced dslrs than entry-level as I've said before I don't want the hassle of reselling and wasting money, if so, which model should I get? I'm going Canon since I have a feeling that Canon was meant for me. ;p
I'll probably buy the body only and get a sigma 50 f1.4 so keep that in mind.
and I might switch to the 50d mark x in the future so the lens I purchase have to be fully mountable on the 50d, hope I am specific enough, sorry, I'm not all that technical when it comes to dslrs
I'd like to shoot street/cityscape, maybe landscape, family&friends, food <3, and maybe models when I'm pro...
November 20, 2011 @ 08:53 PM
glennboy

Anyone know anything about a Sony DSC-R1? My dad gave it to me and I don't really have heavy knowledge in photography

Live Life // Get Mo Money

November 20, 2011 @ 09:10 PM

Inactive

and lax, what's your collection of lenses?
November 20, 2011 @ 11:41 PM
laxlife1234

Never mind, I'm not holding off photography, I want to start young, so I have yet another question, is it wise, as a first dslr, to buy into the more advanced dslrs than entry-level as I've said before I don't want the hassle of reselling and wasting money, if so, which model should I get? I'm going Canon since I have a feeling that Canon was meant for me. ;p
I'll probably buy the body only and get a sigma 50 f1.4 so keep that in mind.
and I might switch to the 50d mark x in the future so the lens I purchase have to be fully mountable on the 50d, hope I am specific enough, sorry, I'm not all that technical when it comes to dslrs
I'd like to shoot street/cityscape, maybe landscape, family&friends, food <3, and maybe models when I'm pro...

Well... the more advanced body for more intermediate users is the Canon 7D. The T3i is the best beginner camera they have out right now. But I like your thinking. If I were you and you don't mind not knowing how to actually use the camera for a while but start to get accustomed to using it get the 7D. It's a pretty advanced camera though and the only upgrade from there would be a 5D MK II. You will probably like the 50 a lot though.

and lax, what's your collection of lenses?

I only have 1 right now which is the Canon 24mm f/1.4L II. I'm starting to save up for a Canon 85mm f/1.2L but I may get rid of the 24L cause I think it is too wide for me. I actually miss my 50L it's just that it wasn't wide enough (to anyone that cares when I get the 85L I'm going FF right after that so that's why..), and I figured if I have a 24L 50 1.4 and 85 1.2 it would compliment each other nicely.

November 22, 2011 @ 01:41 AM

Inactive

Shit, this is going to be hard, it's either 50/5dc or the 7d?
Do you think I'll be able to find a new 50d body for under ~1.5k because it feels sketchy to me buying a used one.
November 22, 2011 @ 02:09 AM
laxlife1234

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20456578.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

I wouldn't recommend it though. I would get the 7D over this any day or the 5Dc. If you go FF and are just starting photography.. I wouldn't really recommend it. Get used to crop and then if you want make the switch over to FF but you can get lenses to accommodate the crop. If you want a 7D for cheap go the refurb way, and you can take advantages of canon loyalty program. So my 7D came out to about $1200.

November 29, 2011 @ 05:22 AM
reversal

I need a DSLR for a class next semester and was wondering if the T3 was any good. I'll basically have to shoot budget. Is there a better alternative?
November 29, 2011 @ 05:25 PM
Anti-Hero

T3's are just fine for class. Hell, check craigslist and see if you can score anything for cheaper. It's just for class, so i wouldn't splurge.

November 30, 2011 @ 12:10 AM

Inactive

So here I am again, back with another question. I am considering a used canon 7d off craigslist, what are the things I should look out for?
November 30, 2011 @ 04:25 AM
reversal

T3's are just fine for class. Hell, check craigslist and see if you can score anything for cheaper. It's just for class, so i wouldn't splurge.

And if I want to use it afterwards as a hobby? Basically, for around that price is there anything old (or new) that is worth looking in to?
December 1, 2011 @ 12:57 AM
Anti-Hero

If you care about video then I'd go with the t3. It works perfectly fine if you want to pursue photo as a hobby. I'd also look into a 40D-60D those cameras are more on the serious side, and have more durable bodies.

But The t3 is cheaper as it comes with a kit for around ~$530. The 40D body+battery+charger can be sniped on craigslist/ebay for around ~$440 on craigs/ebay.

December 1, 2011 @ 02:13 AM
reversal

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the 40D and see what's up.
December 2, 2011 @ 05:01 AM
ANVT

I'm looking for a good Video DSLR Camera, Any suggestions?

ANVT~

December 4, 2011 @ 07:16 PM
w00tJAMES

Canon EOS C300

December 6, 2011 @ 12:46 AM
GoRubio

Canon EOS C300

Saw this too on the Vimeo home page and had a discussion about it today in one of my film classes. It's great to see Canon push towards more into the video realm now. Insane how high you can push the ISO on it. Also cool that it'll have interchangeable lenses with all the DSLRs. Can't wait to try it out.
December 6, 2011 @ 10:20 AM
Rema

ANVT really depends on your budget, I'd go with either the 600D/T3i or 60D
the C300 seems dope.

r
December 8, 2011 @ 09:22 AM
denpa

anyone know what causes those vertical lines? i'm trying to figure out if it's from my camera or from walgreens developing. they're present on the negative

電波

Please login first to reply.