Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
November 5, 2011 @ 06:57 AM
Mr. Oizo

I just ordered a 5DMK2 today and I'm super excited. Who else here has one or is full frame on Canon?
November 5, 2011 @ 08:12 PM
Anti-Hero

I am using the 5Dmk2, I absolutely love the full frame sensor. I upgraded from the 7D, and I won't ever go back to crop sesnors at this rate.

flickr.com/leavetownrightnow/

November 5, 2011 @ 08:43 PM
laxlife1234

I would love one, but decided that I would get a 7D deal with it, and once the 5D MK III comes out then sell the 7D and get that, or sell the 7D before the 7D II comes out (which ever comes first).

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

November 5, 2011 @ 11:13 PM
Anti-Hero

good plan. I do miss my 19 Af points, and the 7D is actually shaped better ergonomically. My 5D just doesn't fit right in my hands lol. I suppose that's all I can nitpick.

*edit: and we are likely to see an updated 1x series camera before the 5D or 7D update.

November 5, 2011 @ 11:48 PM
laxlife1234

Yeah, I just hope that the 7D is the last to be updated. But I get the feeling canon is going to have a great year. They are also releasing a new line of their cameras dedicated to video .

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/11/04/canon-kyboshes-the-competition-full-cinema-system/

Thats the link to that. Quality is going to be amazing and the recording will be at 4k which is cinema quality. Believe it or not though that 50 is of the cheapest ones canon will launch - the most expensive @ $43,000 if I read correctly.

But rumor has it Canon will also be announcing several more products in the Spring time, or early 2012 (I think 3 new lenses, and 1-2 more cameras).

November 6, 2011 @ 02:50 AM
Anti-Hero

the new lenses will likely be updates to older obsolete lens. such as the 50 1.8 II.

and the 7D will be last, as it is one of the most up to date body.

November 7, 2011 @ 08:26 PM
╒rozzy

Noob question but I have a 28-135 3.5-5.6

I do realize a 17-55 or 24-70 2.8L would be a bit wider but are they significantly sharper when compared to my 28-135 kit lens?

November 7, 2011 @ 08:40 PM
laxlife1234

I find my kit lens to be pretty sharp. I'm unsure of the 17-55 but for 1/10th of the price if you want a lens that just cant go up to 2.8, get the 18-55. But the 24-70 is regarded as one of the sharpest zoom lenses around. It pretty much beats all the ones you just said. If you are going to spend the money I would say pay the extra money and get the 24-70L. I owned it for 3 days (I personally didn't like it), but it was one hell of a sharp lens. I would love to get it again but I just don't have the money for it.

November 7, 2011 @ 10:30 PM
Anti-Hero

Noob question but I have a 28-135 3.5-5.6

I do realize a 17-55 or 24-70 2.8L would be a bit wider but are they significantly sharper when compared to my 28-135 kit lens?

Those two lenses were significantly sharper than my 28-135, and they'd be an awesome upgrade, should you decide that, but I was really happy with my 28-135 until I decided that all I wanted was a larger aperture. Otherwise, I wouldn't have worried bout sharpness.

November 8, 2011 @ 03:33 AM

Inactive

Ayo, I just got interested into photography and I am wondering which dslr I should buy with a budget of under $1000, probably waiting till boxing day to make my purchase. I've been leaning towards a rebel t3i, but recently heard people say Nikon is better. Until then, can anyone give me a better understanding of lenses as I am rather confused. I'd like to take photographs of places, people/model?, etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks.
November 8, 2011 @ 06:20 AM
Anti-Hero

No brand is better than the other, it is all personal preference, I guarantee you that anyone who says otherwise is a fucking fool. For everyday needs a rebel t3i is great. But I advise you to go to a electronics store or a camera retailer and hold different camera bodies to see what you like more and ask more questions or make a purchase based off of what you interest you.

Lenses all have different capabilities and may have specific intended uses. Some have different focal lengths which may or may not be adjustable, most autofocus while a few only manually focus, and some lenses let more light in than others; which results in better results for low light photography. What you decide to shoot and conditions may change the type of lens you choose to use.

November 8, 2011 @ 09:40 AM
realignant

should i wait for 5d mk3 if there is such a thing or if canon would ever release one or should i just cop the 5dmk2?
November 8, 2011 @ 07:24 PM
Anti-Hero

I recently upgraded to the 5Dmk2, since the prices on them have dropped dramatically due to the rumors of mk3 releasing. I don't have a need for having the biggest and newest camera and the Mk2 is fucking excellent for the prices they go for on craigslist.

I'd tell you to just buy the Mk2, and sell if you have the urge to upgrade later down the road.

November 8, 2011 @ 08:47 PM
realignant

ive had my 40D for 5 years now, ive been thinking of upgrading to a full-frame and i'm considering buying the 5d comes black friday
November 8, 2011 @ 09:28 PM
Anti-Hero

The 5Dmk2? I doubt that will go on sale, as dealers already sold them recently this year with a decent rebate deal. Honestly, if you don't mind a lesser quality lcd, and 9 less megapixels, and video; the Mk1 is the same thing basically.

November 8, 2011 @ 10:32 PM
RawShack

The 5Dmk2? I doubt that will go on sale, as dealers already sold them recently this year with a decent rebate deal. Honestly, if you don't mind a lesser quality lcd, and 9 less megapixels, and video; the Mk1 is the same thing basically.

check out fm forums or ebay you can find one easily for under $2000.
November 9, 2011 @ 12:47 AM
laxlife1234

should i wait for 5d mk3 if there is such a thing or if canon would ever release one or should i just cop the 5dmk2?

Well, if you cop the MKII and down the road you want a 5DIII you'll probably have to sell it for less than what you bought it and have to deal with losing money. Otherwise do what I did get the 7D and wait for the 5DIII to come out. If it doesn't come out.... I'm going to be mad. But compared to the weaknesses of the 5DII I would assume the 5DIII will have more AF points, faster fps, and probably a better LCD. I know if they release a 5DIII there will be a lot of newer and upgraded things with it. That being said if I were you wait to get either. The 5DII will only drop in price when the 5DIII comes out.

Also the 5Dc can be found for ~$1000 and some can be had for <$1k in amazing condition (shutter count is usually around 30k+. But even though it is older technology it is still a pretty good camera.

November 9, 2011 @ 02:50 AM

Inactive

i'm still confused about lens, do you have a simplified guide, or something? ;s
and is this a good buy: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b9001588.aspx?path=a49483be391418bebc540c761dcc8243en02

thanks again!
November 9, 2011 @ 03:14 AM
laxlife1234

Ok, basically there are two different types of broad categories of lenses for Canon: L Lenses which are pro lenses, and just their regular lenses.

To hopefully get you to understand not all the regular lenses will work with all canon camera bodies (the higher end ones), while I believe all L lenses will work with all Canon bodies (or most of the higher end ones).

Now, onto what the lenses break down into further. There are a TON of lenses out there, there are:

Telephoto medium-long: Usually they have 50mm - 200mm focal length.
Super telephoto: 200mm+ focal length.
Wide Angle lenses: Lenses with focal lengths usually less than 40mm.
Ultra-wide angle lenses: Usually less around 15mm or less.
Macro Lenses: these let you see a subject with a 1:1 ratio or less (ie. a lens can have up to 1:5 ratio meaning you can see the subject 5x larger then they really are).
Tilt-shift: Not going to bother explaining these as you probably wont ever own one.

Anyways with that said each type of lens is different. The larger the aperture the better the backgroun blur and usually from 35mm to 200mm lenses will give the best results for portraits providing the best background blue (expecially the really long telephoto lenses), but the larger the aperture the better the background blur.

There are also another distinct category: zoom and prime. Primes usually offer better IQ, and you can achieve faster shutter speeds with larger apertures while with zooms they tend to be more versatile but they can be heavy (if we are talking about standard zooms, not comparing them to fixed apertures prime telephoto lenses). So if you want the best type of lens for a beginner I recommend not getting the kit lens with the T3i, rather just getting the body alone and save about $300, then I would look at a 50 1.4, or a sigma 30 1.4. Or if you don't mind the focal length and don't mind spending about another $500 I would recommend a 70-200 f/4L. It is a great lens, and yes it is more of an advanced lens but you will eventually grow into photography and want better lenses so why not start out with a good lens?

Eventually you will understand what is good and what isn't but don't be fooled just cause Canon has their L series. The lenses are very expensive or they can become very expensive. I would recommend just getting a Sigma for staters.

November 12, 2011 @ 07:56 AM
DREWKKAKE

compact every day shooter
That's a really common problem, you shoot canon right?

Do the upgrade, the 1.4 can be sniped on craigslist for $300 or you can order a Canon refurbished lens for $320~340. it's 3x the price of a 1.8, but infinitely better. Construction is solid and reliable, and the lens is pretty sharp wide open. However the build is a rather old design, you can play the Sigma lottery and try to get a good reliable copy of the Sigma 50 1.4. It is sharper from 1.4-2.5, but most are lemons and have horrible back/front focus issues. Getting an accurate copy of those and the pictures are identical to the Canon L series.

i suggest from experience to just pay the extra money and get the canon 28mm 1.8 instead of the sigma 30mm 1.4

in other news, i wouldn't mind getting rid of my sigma 30mm 1.4 lol

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

November 12, 2011 @ 04:57 PM
vin

drew lemme cop dat 30mm
November 12, 2011 @ 08:58 PM

Inactive

@ laxlife, late thanks for taking the time to write the guide, but the problem is I'm new, new to dslr photography so I might not be familiar with the 'terms'. Anyways is it better to invest heavily into lens rather than the body? The mm on the lens is mostly where the confusions coming from, I think? And how would you know which lens is better for model photo shoots, cityscape, food, & everyday things? With many unique lenses in the market, separated by brands, how can you tell if it's compatible for the body you're using beforehand?
November 13, 2011 @ 02:41 AM
laxlife1234

Well, you can tell lenses if they would fit your camera body just by seeing if it is the right mount (should be in the description. Anyways it is better to invest in a lens than the body. A better lens can produce better results with pictures... I cant explain why but invest in lenses more so than bodies since technologies always changing for the bodies. mm refers to the focal length. The longer the focal length the greater the numbers on the mm. so a 10mm lens would produce a really wide angle lens landscape let's say a birds in the distance and you can't see the bird with that 10mm lens (or it looks tiny), with a 400mm lens you would be able to see the bird lets say. It's just an example to hopefully give you an understanding of what I mean.

IMO a 50mm-200mm focal length lens is going to be better for a photo shoot (with a large aperture for the bokeh [background blur] and it is faster by allowing more light in letting you use faster shutter speeds), but for food shots you'd want somewhere between 35-50mm, the best length IMO is 50. It is perfect for almost everything. If you are going to go and get a 50mm lens though you are going to want a fast one (large aperture). So I would just go for a 50 f/1.4. If you are on a budget, however, go for a 50 f/1.8.

Here is also a read on the difference between FF and a crop sensor.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/full-frame-advantage.htm

Now if you want to buy a 50mm lens it is going to be equivalent to about an 85mm lens, so you should take that into account when buying a lens for a crop body. But to be honest I wouldn't even worry just go with a 50 and don't think about it. You wont regret it

Btw, what camera do you have?

November 13, 2011 @ 03:19 AM

Inactive

I don't have a dslr yet, but it will come soon though =)
I want a dslr in the intermediate - advanced category mainly because I don't want the hassle of selling off a beginner dslr, anyways can you recommend me one?
November 13, 2011 @ 03:54 AM
laxlife1234

Well... You could buy a used 5Dc which was once for the pro amateurs/advanced photographer. Otherwise I would say a 7D, T3i, 60D or if you want to go the nikon route?... IMO Canon has better lenses though.

I would only recommend getting a 7D or 5Dc if you are 100% sure you want to stick with photography.. Actually I would only recommend a 7D you probably couldn't appreciate full frame for what it is unless you have used a crop sensor. So The most intermediate camera out there is definitely a Canon 60D. The 7D is getting more into the advanced amateur/pro range, but it does still have auto so you can learn how to shoot on M but still shoot photos without messing up the light. If I were you I would read reviews, try each camera out in a camera store (best buy should have both on display), then think really hard still about what you want to get, then buy the camera.

Everyone will give you different advice though, my best advice is find the camera you like and buy it. I like to start off with more advanced things and not entry level stuff, but that's me personally.

November 13, 2011 @ 10:47 PM

Inactive

mmk, thanks, now can you teach me how to add a watermark type signature to a photo? xs
November 13, 2011 @ 10:55 PM
laxlife1234

Get lightroom (which is a great program) and you can do it automatically. Plus it's much cheaper than PS.

November 13, 2011 @ 11:53 PM
laxlife1234

And should I save up for a new lens, or a new pair of jeans?

November 14, 2011 @ 12:19 AM
sploosh

Left my bag on a train and now I'm lensless. Looking to get something with Christmas money and use it as my one lens for now. Should I go with the sigma 30mm f/1.4? It's for portraits and street snaps.

Edit: was reading a review and they said that the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 is superior and cheaper. Feedback?

CHEAP~ Huf Camo Waxed Highland, Saddlemans, Jcrew, Levis Commuters~CHEAP http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/193523

November 15, 2011 @ 02:24 AM

Inactive

@lax, I'll probably hold off dslr photography for now, as I am on a tight budget, and my lack of knowledge for dslr photography seems to be a waste of money for now, although your input has given me a much better understanding, and I thank you, I really appreciate it, If ever I need help, I'll be sure to know who to ask,
&& when did you start photography? just wondering.

Please login first to reply.