Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
December 19, 2013 @ 04:08 PM
nat turner

Ever fill like you're lacking new ideas, concepts, or even just a change of style?

Post some tips, videos, articles, books, anything for improving creativity for any discipline

Creative blocks. How do you overcome them?

http://pureandgood.tumblr.com/ IG: thevictoryspeech

December 19, 2013 @ 07:04 PM
WZA

The old fashion way...Read a BOOK and EXPLORE! Stop surfing tumblr, instagram and other brands. 
December 19, 2013 @ 07:32 PM
travelino

iNormallv passing through redLightDistrictArea ...hope thisHelpsVou

| since 1975 | @CaptStroopwafel |

December 19, 2013 @ 07:54 PM
snapper pow

just draw through it. draw spirals n doodles n shit. then go from there and shade em in or color em or something. the way i get through a drawing block is to just keep drawing (may sounds like a paradox but it works for me)
December 19, 2013 @ 09:24 PM
keo_

1. Research
2. Research
3. Research
4. Slam head against the wall, go nuts thinking about an idea 
5. Research
6. Slam head against the wall...
7. Forget about it..go for a run/workout (usually works), play games, RELAX, drink a little bit, read.  (I always keep something with me so I can write or draw out my when it comes to me. 

I also thought this was cool too.

http://frankchimero.com/writing/2010/how-to-have-an-idea/  

Click the link to see the comic better. 

blog.anthonykeo.com

December 19, 2013 @ 10:19 PM
chief

I dunno about researching that much, as I believe it has to come naturally. If you research, it sort of takes away from whatever it is you come up with. 

Children are a fantastic example of this. Before societies norms are imprinted upon them, their minds are sort free flowing. I went into an elementary school the other day and there were pictures posted up around the office of kids' colorings of a squirrel outline. Most of them were colored in pretty basically (one color fur, different color for eyes, etc), but some squirrels were colored with stripes, different colored body parts, one kid painted his as a candy cane. It was kind of beautiful (and also a sad realization) to see how simple and outside-of-the-box a kindergarteners mind is, only to have that mindset hammered out of us as we get older

•••

December 20, 2013 @ 01:25 AM
jamesjebbia

I feel like the best thing is to go some place new for a little. you'll see different stuff and people makes you think in a different way
December 20, 2013 @ 05:37 AM
keo_

I dunno about researching that much, as I believe it has to come naturally. If you research, it sort of takes away from whatever it is you come up with. 

Children are a fantastic example of this. Before societies norms are imprinted upon them, their minds are sort free flowing. I went into an elementary school the other day and there were pictures posted up around the office of kids' colorings of a squirrel outline. Most of them were colored in pretty basically (one color fur, different color for eyes, etc), but some squirrels were colored with stripes, different colored body parts, one kid painted his as a candy cane. It was kind of beautiful (and also a sad realization) to see how simple and outside-of-the-box a kindergarteners mind is, only to have that mindset hammered out of us as we get older
I'm talking about working for a client or some besides yourself. Being objective and creating something for their target audience or for them is my point. 

blog.anthonykeo.com

December 20, 2013 @ 07:29 AM
jjapplesauce

What james jebbia said is a good idea.  Also, this is going to sound kinda strange but some of my most creative/ingenious ideas have happened in the early hours of the morning.  I am not a night owl at all and hardly ever stay up really late but staying up until you hit that 3 and 4 in the morning I swear it almost seems like you tap into a weird part of your brain.  
December 20, 2013 @ 08:48 AM
chief

I'm talking about working for a client or some besides yourself. Being objective and creating something for their target audience or for them is my point. 
lol yeah true, didn't even think of it that way

•••

December 20, 2013 @ 01:22 PM
PlaboY

steal, sample, lift, whatever you wanna call it...

http://austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/

things are put out in this world for us to reference, it all depends on the way you go at it...
December 20, 2013 @ 02:26 PM
thoroprod

look at other's work and get inspired.

your a product of your environment. everything created is a product of everything you've experienced

http://thoroprod.org

December 20, 2013 @ 05:36 PM
nat turner

Yall came thru with some good tips

I like these

will be getting this book

http://pureandgood.tumblr.com/ IG: thevictoryspeech

December 27, 2013 @ 06:12 AM
Minn.Sam

Take a trip to an art museum, alone.

coup.headops@gmail.com

December 27, 2013 @ 03:33 PM
bugswithmedotcom

I like these

I got this book my i-Phone about a year ago and I go back to it about 3-4 times a week, sometimes more. It is a HUGE help … also check out The Little Black Book of Design

BUGSWITHME.COM x TWENTY5ONLINE.COM

December 28, 2013 @ 05:09 AM
Koven

just go out and live life, meet people, and try to feel their energy. 

I get most of my ideas jogging tho 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrelllis/

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

December 28, 2013 @ 09:21 PM
bernardtheblack

just go out and live life, meet people, and try to feel their energy. 

I get most of my ideas jogging tho 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrelllis/
yup. Live. Also take a break for a bit and come back to whatever. Things will change.
December 28, 2013 @ 09:25 PM
bernardtheblack

And think about things. Just in case you feel like you're going to permanently use your sanity, stop. There's no turning back. 
 Koven I'm gonna hit u with a PM. We should meet up and shoot or something. I want to hit toronto soon during spring break or summer.(im 10 min from Nyc) I've been wanting to go for a while.
December 28, 2013 @ 11:26 PM
Koven

^^for sure Holla! 

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

December 30, 2013 @ 10:53 PM
WiseMindsClothingCo

I like these

Just read this book, awesome. Great tips in this book fersure! Big recommendation.

Store: http://www.wisemindsclothingco.com

January 14, 2014 @ 02:54 AM
404 Not Found

smoke a joint

film / skate

January 14, 2014 @ 04:37 AM
Jegz

Read books, look at photo blogs, take a walk in the park and perhaps listen to some new type of genre music.
January 14, 2014 @ 10:24 PM
travelino

have a lot of SEX helps...

| since 1975 | @CaptStroopwafel |

February 17, 2014 @ 09:14 AM
notjackson

From a random article on the web

Creative Process:

Preparation (individual study to focus your mind on the problem and explore its dimensions)
Incubation (the problem enters your unconscious mind and nothing appears to be happening externally)
Intimation (you get a feeling that a solution is on the way)
Illumination (your creative idea moves from preconscious processing to conscious awareness)
Verification (your idea is consciously verified, expanded upon, and then executed)

cargocollective.com/jacksonglasgow

February 18, 2014 @ 02:00 PM
Rodney D Ellis

Aint no rule book to this shit - Kid Cudi   SKIP TO 6:25

fuck the internet

February 18, 2014 @ 08:03 PM
closetdrakefan

http://vimeo.com/85040589

^ video about how to keep the creative process going (narrated by Ira Glass).

Just don't second-guess yourself and keep making stuff, be creative every day even with a lousy full-time job, or even when you "dont feel like being creative". 
February 20, 2014 @ 02:32 PM
LCULT

I'd recommend just taking a late night walk, go somewhere in the city that is usually packed but will be completely desolate due to the time of night. Just literally stroll around, looking at things as they sit unaffected by the human population. Do this whilst listening to some music or just listening to the natural silence, dotted with sounds of urban life whilst asleep. Or if you're not in a built up area, just find a decent open space covered with trees or other things that break up the landscape. I usually do this to just relax and think through things I need to do, but often find myself daydreaming about so many things I'd love to draw once I get home.

edit: didn't mean for this to sound so frail

虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず

February 20, 2014 @ 08:37 PM
josefmichael

f the bullsh*t just focus. don't worry bout the parties and all that
February 23, 2014 @ 10:53 AM
Luchini

Watch life-centered movies that have an inspirational theme behind em. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was a great recent one.
February 27, 2014 @ 03:32 AM
neckface

-surround yourself around creative people or individuals at the least, if people aren't supportive then fuck them.

-explore. travel. explore the web. try new things. the internet is a great tool for opening your mind... someone said above that instagram and tumblr are bad for the mind in the creative sense. i understand how someone can abuse social media but as a creative person, you should be used to utilizing everything efficiently already. 

-as far as movies go, american pie and will farrell comedies have their time and place...  but when you are alone, knowing you should be doing something better than waste your time watching movies, at least watch something that is at least visually stimulating and maybe with a rich script. as an artist, you should be emerging yourself in every medium possible. drawing, acting, painting, writing, making music, playing music... its all creating and helps you learn. this mindset will definitely improve your overall creative output. you are your experiences.

thats all i can think of for now i think

Please login first to reply.