Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
November 19, 2013 @ 09:17 AM
chief

This should be a stickied thread. I don't like to clutter up the forum with quick illustrator questions. 

anyways i'm having trouble changing the color of shapes. I made letters out of rectangles, where I just reshaped them to how I wanted them. I need the background to be black but the shapes (letters) themselves to be white. When I do document setup and change the background from white to black, the shapes change to black as well and blend in with the background. when I try to change the shape color to white, it says white but it stays the same color as the background. can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

•••

November 19, 2013 @ 09:19 PM
bnj

im not sure i understand what you're doing with the document setup in illustrator but try this: 

select your letters. 
in the toolbox, look at the foreground/stroke color and make sure the foreground is white. 

now, select the square tool from the toolbox (or hit M), click anywhere and fill in the size you need. make sure this is black. 
make sure the black square is selected, right click on it, and go to arrange. select "send to back". 

http://www.benjaminescobar.com

November 22, 2013 @ 12:52 AM
chief

im not sure i understand what you're doing with the document setup in illustrator but try this: 

select your letters. 
in the toolbox, look at the foreground/stroke color and make sure the foreground is white. 

now, select the square tool from the toolbox (or hit M), click anywhere and fill in the size you need. make sure this is black. 
make sure the black square is selected, right click on it, and go to arrange. select "send to back". 
nailed it. thanks a lot man

•••

Please login first to reply.