300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
November 15, 2013 @ 12:14 AM
Super Villain

Hi!

I was just wondering about peoples experiences at art school, has it been good or bad? I am in the process for applying to school and actually got offered a merit scholarship to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. I am a canadian student and still have to apply for Canadian Scholarships as well other american ones. My focus is drawing an painting. Tell me about your art school experiences, which schools/ programs are the best.
November 15, 2013 @ 06:01 AM
noire

>Art Institute of chicago
i swear there is a chief keef joke somewhere in there im just not clever to think of it

#NOIRE #NOIRE #NOIRE #NOIRE

December 6, 2013 @ 05:47 AM
SeanHowellArt

Art School is rubbish! I've been to University of Toronto and Sheridan College. They teach nothing and they kill your creativity. Get a job or study Engineering or Medical research. Also I would suggest that you work and get some free knowledge from google.com and wikipedia.com and youtube.com before you get indebted with schools. The old way of teaching in schools is very flawed. Basically the only skill you need to survive is how to make a proper and accurate google search. Take time off, buy a laptop and foster your information finding skills. Art school makes you do unnecessary projects that will stress you out and stunt your natural progress as a creative thinking being.
December 6, 2013 @ 08:52 AM
keo_

Have a good idea of what you'll be doing when your done and be sure you can do it. Art school is expensive and unlike other degrees, it's kind of hard to tailor a BFA in painting to any other job. Think of the commercial aspects of what you want to focus on.

Don't go into art school thinking you know your shit cause really you probably don't, why else would you be there? Go get a job if you think you don't have the ability to grow. I've seen a lot of people get defensive about their stuff and take any kind of critique personally and they won't take any art direction and they'll end up with crap. 

I think art is about having good taste and that's all you really need. If you have an awesome concept or idea and you want it bad enough, your talent and skill will raise to that bar. But it will only go as far as you can imagine. (not to sound corny). 

Take a look the portfolios of the graduating students and see how well their stuff looks. If they look shitty, I'm sure the schooling is shitty. With that said, you can learn a lot of things online but what schooling offers you is the ability to communicate with other people, especially professors. 

Find the places where you want to work after school and email them questions. Working professionals are usually more than willing to help out a student but once you're not they're not giving you shit. So ask around. 

But if you got a full ride, Go for it. 
School is what you make of it. 

blog.anthonykeo.com

December 6, 2013 @ 10:51 AM
nat turner

1) Do your research on the school
2) Visit the school and ask many question
3) Like others said, research your major and think about what you want to do later in life
4) If it's free/affordable then sure.

http://pureandgood.tumblr.com/ IG: thevictoryspeech

December 6, 2013 @ 03:10 PM
Super Villain

Any of you actually been to art school? I aint talking like a small studio art program. I mean like at an actual art school.
December 6, 2013 @ 03:55 PM
snapper pow

i just go to my schools shitty art program, but i have made professors that went to massart and a few homies as well. what it seems like is a lot of work (not a bad thing) and u can concentrate in exactly what you want to major in. they offer like any kind of art class you can imagine.

the only thing is that mad people there have the 'art school' mentality... like they know more than the professors and shit.

i'd say go for it if u wanna major in art
December 6, 2013 @ 09:44 PM
SeanHowellArt

Any of you actually been to art school? I aint talking like a small studio art program. I mean like at an actual art school.
I've been to the harvard of animation schools, Sheridan College in Oakville. I didn't go for animation but I went for fine art. I went at a time before they started changing the class scheduling because people were realizing that it was bogus. But I hope people will realize that the whole program is bogus. You will learn very little things in these schools. Find out what you want to accomplish then find out how to do it then do it. Buy a MacBook Pro and Join an online forum community that is dedicated to your direction of artistic goals and work a part time job while you build your creative projects. If you want to be an artist then you probably dont care about making money because on sites like fiverr.com people pump out amazing work with photoshop filters and sell them for 5 bux. You will waste money in Art School and you will kill your creativity and you will regret going there. Make the art that you wanna make now. Art is not hard its basically just copying. No idea is original. Search google youtube wikipedia tumblr deviant art for inspiration. I guarantee you that you wont change the world with your art but you can make yourself happy by doing your art in your own time and not wasting energy and time in art school. 
December 8, 2013 @ 10:38 AM
keo_

I go to the Art Institute of Seattle. Albeit it's not really a fine art school but more of an applied art school. 

blog.anthonykeo.com

Please login first to reply.