Enjoy an Additional 10% Off on All Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA10
October 30, 2013 @ 05:17 PM
Fughazi

Warhol took a big influence from the mainstream and loved advertising, where I can see how both Warhol and Terry are similar but Richardson seems to be more "exclusive" despite his role in the mainstream. 

SF // OAKLAND // DESIGN // MUSIC // ART // VIDEO // www.fughazi.com

November 4, 2013 @ 04:07 AM
Koven

Terry is one of the most important photographers of this generation and birthed your style whether you want to admit it or not. 

Most fashion photography would still look like this if it wasnt for him. Which is still dope in its own way.  
This directed towards me? 

If so, Terry is influential, yes, but he most certainly did not birth my style. People on forums, flickr, tumblr, etc. have birthed my style if anything. I never really bothered looking into famous photographers until I actually started working with models. 

That being said, I can appreciate the value placed on his direct flash photos, but I think Juergen Teller should also be put into this debate. I really do like some of Terry's work, but for a professional photographer he's far too inconsistent and it may not even be that, but because he posts what he posts it's too much bullshit. 

Hey that wasn't directed at you, it was directed at most people in general. Look at the post dudes with most swag of all time thread and tell me that style wasn't influenced by terry in part...or at least he made that style popular.  

I'm influenced by terry as well but I'm trying to be less fun and more serious these days.  Terry in in a position to do the shots he does because he made a brand for himself. There are a bunch of fake terrys out there, I know a few that shoot for american apparel but I believe that shit lacks substance. There is something different about what terry does....Not all but in his good shit.  

I liked the shoots he did  with Macualy Culkin, Lil Wayne, obama, and his dad.  

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

November 4, 2013 @ 04:11 AM
Koven

andy warhol was a culture icon.
terry is a fashion/editorial photographer.

andy warhol affected a world, terry is affecting only photographers, and photographers (sorry) are never really remembered outside of photography. people like leibovitz, cartier-bresson, avedon, etc. are all titans in photography, but i would bet you good money your parents (unless they are involved in art) don't know who they are.

however, terry clearly inspires a lot of people on this board because a lot of you do bullshit overexposed shots of mundane stuff like him.
I agree that photographers dont become rock stars.....I think photographers by definition are behind the scenes type people so I dont think we'll ever see any photographers starting any revolutions unless they are something else and just happen to take pics. Like Petra collins, shes like a feminist that takes pictures. 

I do think that photographers do have an influence on the way history will be recorded, especially now in an internet and image saturated age. They wont get the credit for their influence, but the influence is there. Terry has a huge impact on the whole Indy rockstar attitude scene. I dunno what to call it.  He was one of the main photographers ive seen that made shit fun and not totally serious.  

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

November 5, 2013 @ 04:42 PM
hellyeatica

terry is just some over-hyped pervert using photography as an excuse to satisfy his perverted needs.
I agree with this. I also think that the same goes for old greek and roman art. You can look at their culture to know that, same with ours. Sex sells he knows it and he's such a monger it works well for him. He gives me a very creeper vibe. 

For me, I wouldn't do anything or design anything that would be seen in public that I wouldn't want my son or grandmother to see. That's just my opinion. There's a cross between tasteful and just showing your sexual aggression which is what I get from his work. 

http://foodiesaurus.tumblr.com/

December 17, 2013 @ 04:04 AM
_abstract69

Richardson is just a creep tbh

Please login first to reply.