Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
July 21, 2013 @ 04:03 AM
phantomony

I've been getting more into photography lately, particularly skate pictures. I want to start a photo blog, with skate stuff, but also if I see a good shot of anything around me at any time, whatever it is. I need a camera with the shutter speed to take good skate pics, but also something not to big that I could carry around easy to get a shot I like quickly. Obviously, the best value would be nice, but quality does have a bigger price tag.
July 21, 2013 @ 04:56 AM
mman200

Canon Rebel 
July 21, 2013 @ 06:46 PM
laxlife1234

Get two. Start off with either a Canon AE-1 or Nikon FE-2 to learn film. If you go the Canon route, I suggest a T3i... you get great quality video as well as pictures, if you go Nikon I'd look into a D5100. None of us know your budget so that doesn't help at all. 

I don't suggest splurging, but definitely invest in a camera so I'd suggest shelling out about $600. If you're shooting skate photos you'll probably also want to invest in a flash and fisheye/UWA lens. 

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

July 21, 2013 @ 08:14 PM
phantomony

Get two. Start off with either a Canon AE-1 or Nikon FE-2 to learn film. If you go the Canon route, I suggest a T3i... you get great quality video as well as pictures, if you go Nikon I'd look into a D5100. None of us know your budget so that doesn't help at all. 

I don't suggest splurging, but definitely invest in a camera so I'd suggest shelling out about $600. If you're shooting skate photos you'll probably also want to invest in a flash and fisheye/UWA lens. 
It's not a budget thing, I would just have to save up more for an expensive camera and if there's a quality one for a cheaper price that would be awesome. And thanks for the advice I'll look into those.
July 22, 2013 @ 06:48 AM
greg

Canon Rebel T3i
July 22, 2013 @ 04:16 PM
bootynuggets

go for a canon t2i and then buy some nice lenses. since it seems like you're mainly shooting skating, you should go for a canon 50mm f/1.8 and also one of those rokinon 8mm fisheyes. you could get those lenses and the camera all for less than $1000 easily.

I produce with a friend for fun. https://soundcloud.com/kopm

July 22, 2013 @ 09:17 PM
shtcam

I don't know your budget (and yes, that's an im portant thing since I can recommend you a 5Dmk3 anyways..). I must say I am Canon user, so I will say something like Canon 700D, I think it's T5i in USA? But generally, you can't go wrong with any Canon EOS body except the cheapest rebels (less AF points, less useable ISO and so on..). 
As for lenses, I would deffinitely NOT recommend the Canon 50mm/1,8 for motion capture, because of slow/inaccurate autofocus and overall feeling of this lens, although it's really cheap so you may consider it as something like backup lens for non-moving subjects or video - though its manual focus ring is quite weird... You should look for one of those Rokinon/Samyang 8mm fisheyes, deffinitely worth it. 

Also with photo equipment, don't be afraid to buy some used lenses - you can find some great offers every now and then.
July 24, 2013 @ 10:21 AM
Gilly Suits

Get the Bower version of the 8mm if in USA. Bower/Rokinon/Walimex/Samyang are all the same lens. Bower is just cheaper due to being the American branding.

Culective.com //

July 25, 2013 @ 05:30 PM
tanneraz21

T3i, I love mine. 
July 25, 2013 @ 07:34 PM
laxlife1234

It's not a budget thing, I would just have to save up more for an expensive camera and if there's a quality one for a cheaper price that would be awesome. And thanks for the advice I'll look into those.
Well if budget isn't an issue, I would definitely invest in a used 5D mark II. That's me though, cause chances are you'll upgrade within a year (I did). Although if you look for a used 5DII it's going to run you about $1100-$1300, plus it's got a steep learning curve if you've never used a DSLR. Can also look at the cheaper, but way older 5D classic. 

www.jacobskoglund.com | www.jacobsphotobooth.tumblr.com

July 29, 2013 @ 01:52 PM
senchi

get a fuji x100s if it isn't a budget thing. dslr power in a smaller frame.
"a poor man's leica"

great camera to start out with, if you don't mind having a fixed lens
it's a mirrorless with a leaf shutter, which is probably going to be the successor of the dslr

insta: @senchip

July 29, 2013 @ 09:36 PM
Serge Chervakov

Since you've decided to shoot skateboarding, don't forget to buy some flashes and triggers to fire them off-camera.
August 12, 2013 @ 05:41 AM
todfu

Micro 4/3 cameras, paired with something like the Rokinon 8mm lens should be a good start. As Serge mentions, if you want to move into serious photographer territory, you're going to need at least two flashes that can be fired remotely - you'll need them to either be super high power, or capable of high speed shutter sync. You want to shoot skateboarding at a minimum of 1/800th of a second (that's something some kid named "Attiba" told me smile).

Please login first to reply.