Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
December 28, 2012 @ 04:55 AM
bryonsummers

As aspiring photographers our goal is to gain recognition and get published. Maybe even land a steady gig for a magazine. Personally, my background was heavy in design which gave me the know how to publish my own work. There are several niche publications out like Frank 151, American Dreaming Magazine, and even Karen + Raoul. But how do they do it? How did they start? What programs do they use?

I've been shooting since I was in high school but it wasn't until my college years that my work actually developed into interesting stories. In the past year (not too far removed from college), I've published four small photo books with subjects ranging from fashion and music to tattoo artists. They're pretty cool and have been getting very good feedback.

This thread is for self publishers to post work you've compiled, and any tips for photogs like us. There are lots of other threads for gear and feedback so let this be one for those who won't wait for the publishers to call.

- We are as smart as the minds around us www.BrandingBryon.com

December 29, 2012 @ 08:24 AM
Koven

I think i have enough material for a photobook but I gotta figure out how to package it and market it. 

Might just go this route and call it "photographs"

http://www.pogobooks.de/content/peckmezian.html

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

December 29, 2012 @ 11:34 PM
bryonsummers

Definitely research the right printer. I've used Lulu.com and CreateSpace.com. I'd like to explore marketing tactics like sending work to the influential outlets. Also creative branding and events. Print isn't dead. It's becoming more refined.

January 31, 2013 @ 03:24 AM
BKBROWN

i gotta try this

could send it as a portfolio

̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏ ̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏ karmaloop 20% off repcode: WAVES lllllllllllllllllll https://soundcloud.com/bkbrown

January 31, 2013 @ 05:18 AM
RawShack

word i got this photo project i'm working on is lulu and createspace the only ones? or is there any better ones?
April 24, 2014 @ 03:32 PM
bryonsummers

word i got this photo project i'm working on is lulu and createspace the only ones? or is there any better ones?
No in addition to Lulu and Createspace, there are all in on places like Adorama, Mixbook, Shutterfly, Blurb, and way more. I prefer Createspace at this time because its owned by Amazon which means your books will be available there in addition to you own store. I just wish they had hardback options. 

Please login first to reply.