300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
June 7, 2012 @ 01:36 AM
youmeandsb

I was talking to my friend and told him my dream job was to just be an artist and drop acid and draw crazy shit... Then he told me that I wouldn't make any money and that no artist really makes money these days. Is this true?
June 8, 2012 @ 11:58 PM
Fitch

Unless your name is Banksy.
June 9, 2012 @ 12:13 AM
unknown123

cum on a canvas, mix it with paint. you're gucci
June 9, 2012 @ 12:15 AM
feathers

don't think people these dayzz respect art as much.
cant really imagine future generations respecting it also.

bocks lowgo 416 سبحان @supnygungy | instagram

June 9, 2012 @ 02:01 AM
youmeandsb

don't think people these dayzz respect art as much.
cant really imagine future generations respecting it also.

I know dude im bummed...
June 9, 2012 @ 02:54 AM
feathers

depends, what art do u do ?

bocks lowgo 416 سبحان @supnygungy | instagram

June 9, 2012 @ 03:00 AM
youmeandsb

Haha dude i'm a junior in highschool, don't really have a found style but i guess i enjoy creating psychedelic art the most.
depends, what art do u do ?
June 9, 2012 @ 03:02 AM
jarvis

I was talking to my friend and told him my dream job was to just be an artist and drop acid and draw crazy shit... Then he told me that I wouldn't make any money and that no artist really makes money these days. Is this true?

I work for an artist, and I realized that the art world is total bullshit.

No respect or passion for anything, it's all about money and the business behind it.

www.ronindivision.com

June 9, 2012 @ 05:29 AM
youmeandsb

No respect or passion for anything, it's all about money and the business behind it.

Behind every industry is corruption. I don't find that surprising at all. Maybe getting a job making graphics for a clothing company or something would be different but I cant be sure of that either. The saying is true C.R.E.A.M.
June 9, 2012 @ 07:23 PM
bernardtheblack

who's the artist you work for and how'd you get that job? It seems like an ineresting one to have.

But dude that sounds crummy. Can you go deeper into what you mean buy its bullshit? How do you see the industry work?
June 9, 2012 @ 08:14 PM
yeahyeah

There's an artist I know who has galleries for him, his work is all over the city, he's very good friends with Sheperd Fairy. He recently had a gallery showing in New Orleans. Fairly famous dude in the city, but I went to his house once...it is literally in the projects, and he has to paint houses on the side to even afford that. :/

wtb supreme snow white button-down in small/medium

June 9, 2012 @ 08:28 PM
jarvis

who's the artist you work for and how'd you get that job? It seems like an ineresting one to have.

But dude that sounds crummy. Can you go deeper into what you mean buy its bullshit? How do you see the industry work?

I'd rather not drop her name, because our studio is composed of only 4 people and if this is found they'll automatically know it was me. I got the job by throwing myself out there, but long story short it was through connections.

And what I mean by bullshit is that there is literally no appreciation at all for artwork, it's all about the money and the name, and how you market yourself. It's typical that theres corruption to be behind every industry. But to this extent was surprising for me, since people make art to have reasons or messages behind it, or so I assumed. People don't buy your work because of what it is, they buy it because of where you've exhibited and who you've worked with, and ultimately how you can brag to all your friends that 'oh shit i've worked with blah and have their piece in my collection'. It's all become a name competition. I understand that this is a major factor in whether or not you want to buy the piece, but literally little to no consideration is taken into what the artwork means, and why the artist created it. Is that not what art is all about? That is the main reason why I think the art world is bullshit.

She had me write and make up the concept for her artwork, I was 18 at the time and I just started there. I would think that you come up with the concept first then you build off of that. But no, she told me to Wikipedia this (noun) and write a 3 line concept for her. She literally had no say in the concept and why she decided to create this work. All she cared about was 'how much money it'll make, market the shit out of it that it was in Times Square'. This concept later became her statement for an entire series of artworks. But I guess the art world is a business as well, so I shouldn't be so surprised to see this type of corruption. But I guess i'm more upset about it because I was aspiring to be an artist too, until I worked there and saw that no one really gave a shit about why you make stuff, when that has been a big thing for me.

Of course I can't say this for all artists out there, just this one i'm working for and her bubble.

Sorry for the long blurb, I hope this helped hahahah.

www.ronindivision.com

June 12, 2012 @ 03:55 AM
YoScuba

Just between visiting galleries and showings in DC and Richmond you see that kind of corruption a fair bit. I wouldn't say that's how most artists are nowadays considering I have personal friends who do have passionand have seen a bit of success, but the people I've seen making a living off it are doing exactly as you described.
June 13, 2012 @ 03:27 AM
laird

depends who it relates to. If rich fucks like it then you'll make bank.

-Laird

Please login first to reply.