Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
May 9, 2011 @ 11:48 PM
Koven

I made a thread yesterday bashing but luckily i posted it in the wrong forum

I finally found some good pics taken with it, I think im sold, they get better as you go down.

www.flickriver.com/groups/x100/pool/interesting

My face while scrolling down. Putting my panasonic gf1 on craigslist and hopefully i can cop this week.

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

May 10, 2011 @ 02:48 AM
rillagorilla

I've been following this camera since it got announced and yeah I want one too. A little hefty on the price and availability is still scarce. Post pics in daily snaps when you cop one
May 10, 2011 @ 05:18 AM
calintz

Putting my panasonic gf1 on craigslist and hopefully i can cop this week.

my EXACT thoughts, if australia had craiglist lol

the GF1 list ain't bad tho
May 11, 2011 @ 03:36 PM
Koven

my EXACT thoughts, if australia had craiglist lol

the GF1 list ain't bad tho

yeah when i get rid of the gf1 im going to miss it. Its so easy to use and the auto focus is so fast.

By the way my gf1 is for sale if anyone from toronto is reading. Im offering a HB discount!

May 12, 2011 @ 12:43 AM
noogsahoy

dude i want one soo bad!
lol
anyone wanna buy a 500d (t1iconfused + kit lens +50mm f1.8 + sigma 10-20 f3.5?
May 12, 2011 @ 11:22 PM
calintz

i want it

X100 vs Leica X1, by a Leica website

I would still choose the Fuji X100 over the Leica X1 (and I do own a M9 as well). My preferences are not just based on the price but on the “overall package”.
May 12, 2011 @ 11:47 PM
Koven

i want it

X100 vs Leica X1, by a Leica website

Great article

Cant wait till mine comes in &)

May 13, 2011 @ 01:41 AM
w00tJAMES

I'd get rid of my Canon XT for this camera.cool
May 18, 2011 @ 06:41 AM
calintz

dpreview says raws can take up to 7 seconds to save to a class 10 card

is this shit true, koven?
May 18, 2011 @ 05:30 PM
Koven

dpreview says raws can take up to 7 seconds to save to a class 10 card

is this shit true, koven?

Just read that today.

Ive never shot in Raw yet, just jpeg and its always been pretty fast. Im going to try shooting some raw +jpegs and see how long they take. I have a pretty fast memory card but 7 seconds would piss me off.

May 18, 2011 @ 05:37 PM
Ledger

Fucking hope that's not true, 7 seconds is way too long and I primarily shoot in raw.

Stock on these is so damn low I'm 32 in line, was 38 the other week and my place got a "big shipment" of X100s which turned out to be just 5 of them. CBF paying eBay prices for it though, 1400 for a used one is bonkers.

How do you like it so far Koven?
May 18, 2011 @ 06:07 PM
Koven

Fucking hope that's not true, 7 seconds is way too long and I primarily shoot in raw.

Stock on these is so damn low I'm 32 in line, was 38 the other week and my place got a "big shipment" of X100s which turned out to be just 5 of them. CBF paying eBay prices for it though, 1400 for a used one is bonkers.

How do you like it so far Koven?

I love it, it focuses really quickly and it handles iso like a champ. I've taken some shots at 2000 and 3000 ISO and I could barely notice any grain. I only used it once last night just walking around. I need some more free time with it to figure everything out. It has a bunch of film filters and an ND filter but I havent played around with those yet.

Took this last night

Too much salt by MrEllis, on Flickr

It looks like a film camera so people don't really give a shit if you got it around your neck. Its also very light, it doesn't feel annoying around my neck.

Only downside that I haven't experienced yet is manual focus, I've read that at F2 You have to turn the focus ring like 9 times to get from the minimum focus distance to infinity focus.

The view finder is really bright

May 19, 2011 @ 07:04 AM
calintz

nice clean shot - they didn't even notice haha
May 19, 2011 @ 02:10 PM
quietstorm

ok this is slightly less than a Leica, but DOPE quality!
Where did you guys cop yours? Amazon, ebay? Camera store?

http://sdstyle.tumblr.com/

May 19, 2011 @ 06:39 PM
Ledger

Looks really good Koven, amazing how there's no grain at ISO 1250.

I think people are just looking for reasons to hate on this camera, sure it does have certain flaws but I think a lot of bugs and issues can be stamped out via a firmware update.

Good article by Steve Huff: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/05/11/the-top-7-complaints-of-the-fuji-x100-and-how-i-get-around-them-by-steve-huff/
May 20, 2011 @ 12:45 AM
jspookz

I'd cop if i haven't spent that guap on a canon 60d.
May 30, 2011 @ 01:37 PM
iujoae

sexxxxxxx
June 5, 2011 @ 01:14 AM
uusunn

I wouldn't replace a GF1 with an X100 man.. maybe that's just me. My cousin owns both (we own GF1s with 20s) and I got a chance to use it for a day... autofocusing is a bit weak. APS-C sensor gave you more flexibility with ISO, but a fixed-length camera at a grand just doesn't work for the price range.

X100 looks like a great artistic camera.. but there's a lot of really awkward settings on the camera that I couldn't really get used to. It's definitely something that you have to learn to use because of the RF/old film camera layout, but the photos weren't as sharp as a GF1+20mm combo.

http://waynesun.com

June 5, 2011 @ 01:45 AM
Koven

I wouldn't replace a GF1 with an X100 man.. maybe that's just me. My cousin owns both (we own GF1s with 20s) and I got a chance to use it for a day... autofocusing is a bit weak. APS-C sensor gave you more flexibility with ISO, but a fixed-length camera at a grand just doesn't work for the price range.

X100 looks like a great artistic camera.. but there's a lot of really awkward settings on the camera that I couldn't really get used to. It's definitely something that you have to learn to use because of the RF/old film camera layout, but the photos weren't as sharp as a GF1+20mm combo.

My main cam is a nikon d300s with a couple lenses. The Gf1 was primarily for the street. I didnt like using it as much though because it felt too much like a point and shoot and I don't like looking through an electronic view finder that I have to hold a foot away.

X100 has better dynamic range (ie more realistic pictures) and it has ISo performance that rivals the d700, and it obviously looks nicer.

Ive taken a couple pictures with the x100 that you can see on my flickr but I still haven't had time to sit down and set up a shot. With my limited use of it ill say that the Gf1 has way faster AF and better MF, its a bit sharper, and has nicer bokeh.

Manual focus on the x100 is a joke, I think at f2 you need to turn the focus ring about 5 times to move the DOF plane a meter. I cant complain about the AF though, its faster then my old D90.

June 5, 2011 @ 01:52 AM
uusunn

My main cam is a nikon d300s with a couple lenses. The Gf1 was primarily for the street. I didnt like using it as much though because it felt too much like a point and shoot and I don't like looking through an electronic view finder that I have to hold a foot away.

X100 has better dynamic range (ie more realistic pictures) and it has ISo performance that rivals the d700, and it obviously looks nicer.

Ive taken a couple pictures with the x100 that you can see on my flickr but I still haven't had time to sit down and set up a shot. With my limited use of it ill say that the Gf1 has way faster AF and better MF, its a bit sharper, and has nicer bokeh.

Manual focus on the x100 is a joke, I think at f2 you need to turn the focus ring about 5 times to move the DOF plane a meter. I cant complain about the AF though, its faster then my old D90.

I agree on dynamic range, but it's all the same when you're playing with a camera without any neutral density filters/polarizers to account for overexposed areas/lighting. F/2.0 is certainly a little high to shoot in the dark with.. maybe the ISO can fix this though. The X100 i'd study a little bit more before buying.. it looks impressive but it just wasn't all there for a camera that was good to shoot with, and my cousin feels this way as well. The focusing wasn't well thought-out enough and it's a pretty half-baked camera aside from the novelty of having something that looks like an RF. It's back on the market for now.

I think anything that compact in a reasonable price range would be micro four-thirds, unless you want to get a camera with a lens permanently attached to the body (which limits your selection and framing of shots by a ton). The EVF is the trade-off you get with a mirrorless though.. it's economical without being too flamboyant in both a context of budget and size. The next best shot is a Leica.. but let's face it.. who's got the cash to throw around for an M9? razz

June 5, 2011 @ 02:05 AM
Koven

I agree on dynamic range, but it's all the same when you're playing with a camera without any neutral density filters/polarizers to account for overexposed areas/lighting. F/2.0 is certainly a little high to shoot in the dark with.. maybe the ISO can fix this though. The X100 i'd study a little bit more before buying.. it looks impressive but it just wasn't all there for a camera that was good to shoot with, and my cousin feels this way as well. The focusing wasn't well thought-out enough and it's a pretty half-baked camera aside from the novelty of having something that looks like an RF. It's back on the market for now.

I think anything that compact in a reasonable price range would be micro four-thirds, unless you want to get a camera with a lens permanently attached to the body (which limits your selection and framing of shots by a ton). The EVF is the trade-off you get with a mirrorless though.. it's economical without being too flamboyant in both a context of budget and size. The next best shot is a Leica.. but let's face it.. who's got the cash to throw around for an M9? razz

X100 has a built in ND filter.

When I go back and look at the pics ive taken with my gf1 and with the x100. The sheer difference in quality makes the x100 worth it but I guess for everyone its different because we value different things.

ive owned both cameras and I prefer the x100. You played with one for a day and you prefer the gf1. It all depends on the person and what they value in a camera. We could sit here all day going back and fourth but I just let the pictures do the talking.

To be honest I hated this camera when I first saw the sample pics, I made a thread bashing it. Now I love it though.

Gf1 can take amazing pics but it cant do stuff like this
www.flickriver.com/groups/x100/pool/interesting/

June 5, 2011 @ 02:13 AM
Koven

Epic Camera Ad -Shot with x100

Not work safe

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoA0_o-PZk4&feature=player_embedded#at=19

June 5, 2011 @ 02:13 AM
uusunn

X100 has a built in ND filter.

When I go back and look at the pics ive taken with my gf1 and with the x100. The sheer difference in quality makes the x100 worth it but I guess for everyone its different because we value different things.

ive owned both cameras and I prefer the x100. You played with one for a day and you prefer the gf1. It all depends on the person and what they value in a camera. We could sit here all day going back and fourth but I just let the pictures do the talking.

To be honest I hated this camera when I first saw the sample pics, I made a thread bashing it. Now I love it though.

Gf1 can take amazing pics but it cant do stuff like this
www.flickriver.com/groups/x100/pool/interesting/

It's a good camera no doubt, but I think that the difference is so negligible at that point that it doesn't even matter for casual photography like that. Maybe it has better colors, but a comparo isn't really useful unless you compare their images at 100% crop. In fact, i've a few x100 images in lightroom now, and looking at them 100% doesn't really compare all that well to a GF1 with a 20mm. My cousin has owned the camera for a few months and he says the same exact thing.

I know it has a built-in ND filter, but does no contribution to dynamic range because it's basically fixed sunglasses for the camera whose stops need to be compensated with via ISO, aperture, or shutter. At the end of the day, the dynamic range might be marginally better because of APS-C, but it's not definable enough in my opinion (again, this is just my opinion). It may store more data in RAW, but that's the only big difference I see.

The x100 is a cool-looking camera no doubt. But dynamic range is moot for cameras nearly neck-and-neck at MSRP upon release (enough to be put in the same discussion, at least), with the trade-offs being just interchangeable lenses and a more true-to-form camera experience. I like the x100.. don't get me wrong, I just think there's a few small details that prevent it from being an awesome camera.

June 5, 2011 @ 02:20 AM
Koven

There are a bunch of articles on the net comparing both cameras, just search google. The x100 blew the gf1 in every category. That's not what convinced me though, its just the pictures. Ive seen the best the gf1 can do by better photographers then myself and Ive seen the best the x100 can do. x100 wins. I don't expect you to agree and if I were you I wouldn't either so Im just going to give you the last word.

June 5, 2011 @ 06:42 PM
calintz

Epic Camera Ad -Shot with x100

Not work safe

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoA0_o-PZk4&feature=player_embedded#at=19

if that vid was done all on a x100, i'm impressed
June 8, 2011 @ 11:39 AM
Koven

if that vid was done all on a x100, i'm impressed

yup I belive it was all done.

Some pics ive taken with the cam. If you post in the daily spapps thread then youve seen these

smile by MrEllis, on Flickr

desensitized by MrEllis, on Flickr

dino by MrEllis, on Flickr

danny by MrEllis, on Flickr

Chinatown by MrEllis, on Flickr

Please login first to reply.