Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
September 5, 2010 @ 04:45 PM
jloo

Hey members,

So, I've been quite interested in designing clothing for a while. Specifically, graphic designing. However, I don't know where to begin in terms of software most appropriate for beginners.

Anyone know a user-friendly software that gets the job done?

I just want to experiment and test my creativity.

Thanks in advance!
September 5, 2010 @ 04:50 PM
DStyles

Try gimp, it's free.

GIMP

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

September 5, 2010 @ 04:57 PM
Carlton C-Note Banks

Photoshop is eventually what you'll want to work too as well. Since technically people get PS for "free" (which I'm not saying I suggest or anything), if you could get Photoshop I'd just start there and familiarize yourself with it. It's not the most user-friendly at first, of course, but it's not impossible to learn how to use it well. I haven't tried GIMP personally but I know about it and know of people who've used it, it's sort of similar to PS but I don't really think it's something that would necessarily make it easier to learn graphic design over starting with PS. Either way you're going to have to familiarize yourself with the UI, and going to GIMP first wouldn't necessarily provide benefits over using PS to learn first. So I'd say use Photoshop to start with since it's better than GIMP.

(And there's still Paint lol)
September 5, 2010 @ 05:04 PM
erico223

bump becuase i had the exact same question yesterday..letss get some helpp!!
September 5, 2010 @ 06:38 PM
BKBROWN

photoshop for sure

gimp is ok but photoshop, man you'll never go back

̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏ ̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏ karmaloop 20% off repcode: WAVES lllllllllllllllllll https://soundcloud.com/bkbrown

September 7, 2010 @ 05:17 AM
Yeti_W

if you want to learn things right, definitely start and stick with photoshop.
you could also try inkscape which is a free if you want to try your hand at vector graphics it works quite a bit differently from illustrator though.
September 7, 2010 @ 01:29 PM
jay tee

If you are going to be designing specifically for clothing (screen printing, plastisol transfer, direct to garment), ideally you should be working in illustrator rather than photoshop. Using vector graphics will allow you to resize your designs on the fly without loss of quality or aliasing (jagged edges rather than straight lines). This can be done in photoshop as well, but its much easier to do in illustrator, especially if you are a beginner who is going to have to become proficient with a new piece of software anyway.
September 9, 2010 @ 12:45 PM
skeetnyoface

Adobe photoshop and illustrator.

Coreldraw graphic suite x5
September 9, 2010 @ 01:27 PM
rubberghost

this may sound a bit elementary, but Comic Life Deluxe is very easy to use, versatile, and cheap. it's especially useful if you want to work with a lot of "text" projects. you do have some ability to work with images as well. cheers!
September 13, 2010 @ 01:18 AM
jloo

thanks everybody for the advice!
September 15, 2010 @ 08:56 AM
BadSerpent

I would go with Photoshop and Illustrator. Yes they are expensive now but they are what you are going to be working on for awhile and it will pay off to learn them now.
September 17, 2010 @ 07:13 PM
Fitch

If you can get yourself familiar with Photoshop, do it. GIMP, although free, is not what you will find most graphic designers working on. However, illustrations (anything not photographic) should be done in a vector-based design program, use Adobe Illustrator! A huge amount of the time you will find yourself working with Photoshop and Illustrator together on a project/design. There are probably some more smaller programs that people use for certain tasks, but just start with those two.
September 18, 2010 @ 08:34 AM
JStorm803

Good advice..I have GIMP myself that I've used for doing some comic stuff, but I'll try out Illustrator.

"I keep myself so lifted I'm accustom to new heights."

September 19, 2010 @ 02:09 PM
nv

i would definitely go with illustrator for screen printing.
September 21, 2010 @ 01:52 PM
Jonney E

try enrolling into FIT, fashion institute of technology in NYC.

Subscribe to me on YouTube @ http://jonneye.com

September 21, 2010 @ 09:13 PM
chiefx

definitely photoshop over gimp. photoshop will have everything you need to create t-shirt based designs and much more. illustrator is good for vectored based designs. if you need help getting either or programs free hit me up.
September 21, 2010 @ 11:51 PM
MMethod

if you want graphic design software theres nothing better than Adobe CS5 Design Premium

you can find it for under 500$ if you can get a student discount but its a whooping 2 grand if you cannot. not sure when CS6 is coming out

Adobe Creative Suite 5

Please login first to reply.