Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
July 16, 2010 @ 03:45 PM
omgjon

is it better to save image quality as RAW or JPEG(fine, normal, basic)? i know you can utilize RAW processing within the camera after taking a shot if you're saving it as RAW, but can't you jus edit the photos with photoshop instead?
July 16, 2010 @ 04:15 PM
Carlton C-Note Banks

you have more control over the adjustments in photoshop as well if you shoot in RAW. if you plan on post processing (in photoshop) then RAW is better than jpeg
July 16, 2010 @ 05:06 PM
omgjon

oh i see. is there any noticeable difference in the image quality?
July 17, 2010 @ 02:42 AM
Koven

oh i see. is there any noticeable difference in the image quality?

Not really but I hear if you just save as a Jpeg the camera will automatically sharpen your photos a bit. I post process almost all my pictures but I never shoot in raw. I don't really take my pictures that seriously and I never do HDR.

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

July 17, 2010 @ 03:14 AM
omgjon

Not really but I hear if you just save as a Jpeg the camera will automatically sharpen your photos a bit. I post process almost all my pictures but I never shoot in raw. I don't really take my pictures that seriously and I never do HDR.

ight i'll take that into consideration. thanks
July 17, 2010 @ 05:13 AM
Carlton C-Note Banks

You could look at this site for some more insight. Depending on how much compression occurs, the JPEG will lose some quality. However, this is probably relatively insignificant depending on how you plan to use your photos and/or what you plan to do with them. If it's just casual shooting and/or if you plan on taking lots of shots then JPEG is probably a bit more than sufficient.
July 17, 2013 @ 05:05 AM
some.image

processing after posting, i suggest you better not save to jpeg vb.net. jpeg is a lossy format. your image will lose some quality on this.  raw file on the other hand is much better.
July 17, 2013 @ 07:22 AM
Villain™

shoot raw, dont use jpeg, i save everything as PNG, but i dont really do anything with photography, i'm all comp based gfx typically.

$mart $tunnaz, $avage Life. SS x SL

August 12, 2013 @ 06:04 AM
todfu

The thing with JPEG is that you are stuck with the image as you shot it. RAW opens up a lot of post processing options to correct for things like over/under exposure, etc. If you're confident that you're getting correct exposure and happy with the colors your camera gives you, by all means, shoot JPEGs. If you want to be able to tweak your photos more for either technical or aesthetic purposes, you're much better off shooting RAW and editing/adjusting in something like Lightroom or Aperture. Photoshop is only necessary for really major surgery.
March 5, 2014 @ 07:09 AM
nanaklinton

The thing with JPEG is that you are stuck with the image as you shot it. RAW opens up a lot of post processing options to correct for things like over/under exposure, etc. If you're confident that you're getting correct exposure and happy with the colors your camera gives you, by all means, shoot JPEGs. If you want to be able to tweak your photos more for either technical or aesthetic purposes, you're much better off shooting RAW and editing/adjusting in something like Lightroom or Aperture. Photoshop is only necessary for really major surgery.
Hi there
Thanks for your solution.i found it is a little bit difficult for me to do that .I have only tried to do raw image saving process using an image program.As for the Jpeg.I am not familiar with that image formats.Is there a powerful image program which supports to process any image format directly?Thanks a lot
March 9, 2014 @ 04:34 PM
Ulrich

Dont neglect RAW its there for a reason. Just convert it to jpg when you're done editing. Editing jpg is a btch
March 13, 2014 @ 10:24 PM
ryno

RAW. 10 char
June 21, 2014 @ 09:05 AM
Thomas Habr

RAW is defenitely the best quality you can get from the picture.

Thomas Habr // Prague based designer - www.instagram.com/ThomasHabr , http://thomazhabr.tk/

Please login first to reply.