Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
July 10, 2010 @ 06:08 PM
Samrai

wat would be the better option of the two a nikkon d5000 or a canon rebel t1i???

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt ≈ @NegronusPrime ≈ twitter

July 10, 2010 @ 06:20 PM
jay tee

oh boy, this battle again.

these are two basically identical cameras at their core, the major difference being the design layout of the buttons. if you already own canon equipment, go with the t1i, if you already shoot nikon, the d5000 is the obvious choice. it all comes down to personal preference, really. half the people on this forum will tell you that canon is the better brand, the other will back nikon.

with that being said, im a nikon shooter, but if i didnt already have a camera and was looking for something in that entry level market, i would probably go with the t1i because the video quality and control is going to be better (the only solid difference between the two cameras).

good luck with your purchase.
July 10, 2010 @ 10:34 PM
TTHX

if you can, get the t2i. better video capabilities, that is if you want it. but either will be fine.

http://tonyhoangphoto.com

July 10, 2010 @ 11:57 PM
Steggy

In my opinion, Nikon cameras are at a bit of a disadvantage when you in the low end category. This is because Nikon produces lenses with AF motors built inside, and lenses without them. Now, higher end Nikons have AF motors built inside the body, what this means is that you can buy Nikon lenses without AF motors in them because you already have the motor in the body itself. The lenses without that motor are cheaper, saving you money. Now entry level nikons do not have this motor in them, so you must get the lenses with a motor in them if you want to auto focus. So you'll be paying more for that. So because you got a lower end body you have to pay more for each lens you purchase. Which sucks. Canon makes it easy, none of their bodies have AF built inside, it's all in their lenses. And their lenses in general are cheaper than Nikon. Hard to explain it, hopefully the idea came across in this post.
July 10, 2010 @ 11:57 PM
Koven

I used to hate on the d5000 because of the dumbed down menus but its actually nice cam and feels really good in your hands.

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

July 10, 2010 @ 11:59 PM
Koven

In my opinion, Nikon cameras are at a bit of a disadvantage when you in the low end category. This is because Nikon produces lenses with AF motors built inside, and lenses without them. Now, higher end Nikons have AF motors built inside the body, what this means is that you can buy Nikon lenses without AF motors in them because you already have the motor in the body itself. The lenses without that motor are cheaper, saving you money. Now entry level nikons do not have this motor in them, so you must get the lenses with a motor in them if you want to auto focus. So you'll be paying more for that. So because you got a lower end body you have to pay more for each lens you purchase. Which sucks. Canon makes it easy, none of their bodies have AF built inside, it's all in their lenses. And their lenses in general are cheaper than Nikon. Hard to explain it, hopefully the idea came across in this post.

Yeah but the nikon lenses with the built in motors (g lenses) are usually better over all then the ones without (D).

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

July 11, 2010 @ 01:01 AM
helloimD4NNY

I have the T1i. It's a really good and solid camera. I rarely use the video capturing feature but its good to have. It's a good camera for beginners aswell. I'm a Canon shooter but I have to say that Nikon's lenses are better hands down. Canon's just a better route to go but that's just me being biased.
July 11, 2010 @ 04:26 PM
react808

canon t1i or t2i
July 13, 2010 @ 05:21 AM
danariely

For the same price you can get a nice used 40D/50D or D80/D90. Unless you're going to spring for the T2i (which has HD video) getting an older but more powerful camera will do you a lot of good.
July 13, 2010 @ 11:54 PM
Steggy

For the same price you can get a nice used 40D/50D or D80/D90. Unless you're going to spring for the T2i (which has HD video) getting an older but more powerful camera will do you a lot of good.

The t1i has HD video as well, though its 1080p is limited, and it unfortunately doesn't have manual controls for video. Still is a fantastic choice though considering you can pick it up for ~600 now if you look hard enough.

Please login first to reply.