Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
May 11, 2010 @ 07:55 AM
bobby

I'm really interested in photography, and i'm just starting to do a lot of research on dslr's & stuff. Looking through people's work is just inspiring. I'm going to college next year and would love to start over the summer, but as we all know, photography is an expensive hobby on po'man undergrad salary. So i definitely wouldn't want this to be a cawp shit then fall off it hobby, ya know?

Basically,

Why did you start?
When did you start?
What's kept you going?

& Do you advise me to get into photography?

I'd really appreciate any replies.

yeeeeeyuhhhh
May 11, 2010 @ 09:43 AM
YDNA

I started around 5 years ago with film SLR, about 2 years ago I picked up digital SLR and haven't put it down since. I started because it was something that always interested me, and over the years, its only gotten more interesting and inspiring. Seeing my progress over the past few years has really kept me going, now getting little gigs and getting paid for it only adds to it. Even if it isn't something you are sure you want to do for the rest of your life, its something you could always fall back on, do your normal 9-5 on M-F and shoot a wedding on Saturday, easy 2-3k.
May 11, 2010 @ 09:56 AM
malaujai

My dad was always into photography and I was able to play around with some of his gear when I was much younger... About 4-5 years ago, he got me a Rebel XTi for my birthday and that's when I started getting more and more interested in it.

I'd always seen commercial/professional photography but never really understood how come the pictures I'd taken with a P&S were different than these shots. I didn't understand the aspects of DOF, Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc. Even when I got my DSLR and kit lens, I didn't really fully understand. I was able to figure some stuff out -- like how to do long exposures, etc, but I think due to the limitations on the lens, I wasn't able to fully get an idea.

When I got my 50/1.4, that was when I really started understanding and fully enjoying photography. Shooting with a prime helped me understand composition and the large aperture/shallow DOF was something that made me want to keep shooting everyday.

After a while, you'll start developing an eye for photography, where you'll probably have moments where you think "SHIT! I wish I had my camera with me". I think experience and the willingness to mess around is probably the biggest factor to developing photography skills...

In terms of $$$, photography is definitely one of the more expensive hobbies... I probably spend more money on photography now than on clothes/kicks/etc. In the past year or so I've spent around $6K on gear, but at the same time, lenses (not bodies) will retain their value over time...
May 11, 2010 @ 12:48 PM
nastynickles

I started when i was about 16(25 now) when i first started i loved it. i would just walk and shoot all day long. the 1st time you get that feeling that makes you say "shit, that is a great picture" it makes it worth while. i had to quit school and just work and couldn';t follow it like i wanted. i recently picked it up again and still love it as when i left it. depending on what your aiming for id say the best rule is be inconspicious. people tend to ruin shots when they know they're getting thier pic taken.

theblog.momentumarttech.com http://www.momentumarttech.com/ http://invasionofthebodysnapper.tumblr.com/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/nastyni

May 11, 2010 @ 12:49 PM
nastynickles

6 more post and i can FINALLY share some pics,link to flickr.

theblog.momentumarttech.com http://www.momentumarttech.com/ http://invasionofthebodysnapper.tumblr.com/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/nastyni

May 11, 2010 @ 03:13 PM
Millenion LTD

my dad was always a photographer, but he didnt really do it because he wanted to be an artist, he did it for the money and he knew the "technical and mechanics" of how a camera works. Now ive learned alot from him and after many many years of shooting, I have decided that im going to give up on photography because there is nothing on this world that i will shoot that has not been done and I HATE deadlines...

to me, the DSLR has become the new standard camera for most people now so I decided ill be moving into video now
May 11, 2010 @ 05:55 PM
julian.

i started two years ago.
jumped quickly into digital, about a 6 months after i purchased a 10.5 fisheye and a 50mm f/1.8
i quickly learned composition, then jumped into the realm of lighting.

with help from school and resources on the internet, including youtube, strobist.com, and flickr, i quickly learned alot.

what kept me going was the introduction of 35mm and 120mm film. i barely even touch my digital these days, as all i shoot is the hasselblad. i love the 6x6 format, and it works great with portraiture and skateboarding, both of which i shoot the most.

definitely jump into photography, it is honestly the most fun you could ever have, and the results are incredibly rewarding. i would advise starting with film to be honest, since most people just get a d40 and take pictures of plants or some stupid shit. get a film SLR (Canon AE1 / Nikon FM10 / ETC) and shoot some B/W . youll learn composition, possibly get an edge on settings with Aperture/Program dedicated modes, and you'll learn to preserve your shots as you are paying for film and development, and besides, film holds all of the grain and imperfections, which make a picture far more interesting. Digital has this perception that it must be 100% CLEAN AND SPOTLESS, i don't really get that.

julianxberman.tumblr.com /

May 11, 2010 @ 06:00 PM
vinsanityy.

lulz i started in december just learning by myself
i remember shooting in auto mode l0l.
May 11, 2010 @ 09:29 PM
bobby

haha thanks a lot for all the replies, i enjoyed reading your stories.
i'm still heavily debating whether or not to go in on it or not. after i research it a ton more i'll be sure to let you guys know my decision and keep you updated...

feel free to keep replying, i'm very interested in what you all have to say
May 11, 2010 @ 10:53 PM
jay3091

I feel like when you see something and you feel like you have to snap it, that's when you know photography is for you.
May 11, 2010 @ 11:29 PM
bokchoy`

well with photography it is sort of a timeless hobby, once you buy the camera, even if the hobby dies down for you, you can always pick it back up again when you get re-inspired.

http://instagram.com/eleong

May 11, 2010 @ 11:45 PM
Koven

If I think that if your a fan and can appreciate good work then its for you.

It can get expensive but thats no different for any hobby you decide to take seriously. You can get a decent DSLR and prime lens for 600 bucks. Start shooting and if you feel its not for you, you can sell it.

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

May 12, 2010 @ 01:07 AM
Hod

I'm like you wondering if I should make the investment but unsure because of how expensive it is. I'm saving up right now with about $200 before I can buy the t2i. I started with drawing and painting but now I want to try photography. I'm debating if I should get a new dslr or subs but I'm pretty sure I'm getting a camera. If it doesn't work out you can always sell it.

Diamond Supply Co., Crooks & Castles, and more (XL-3XL) http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/136442/ | http://www.flickr.com/photos/hodrick

May 12, 2010 @ 01:39 AM
CONQ

buy the camera, it can provide you with fun times, memories and even money if you know what youre doin!

i love photography because i love capturing images that make people notice things that they normally wouldnt (amongst other things ofcourse but im lazy and high so this is what i thought of)
May 12, 2010 @ 12:04 PM
nastynickles

Selling my Nikon D50 was my biggest regret. all i have now is a cheap ass Holga. but it made me remember how cool film is and i never tried 120 before. just no instant gratification of seeing what you get. it was funny as hell thou trying to explain film to my neice and nephew who are 8 and 7. they were totally lost. actually for 14 bucks i guess holga isn;t that bad to just fuck around with but i hate having it as my main piece while i save.

May 12, 2010 @ 11:53 PM
CⒶM

bobby, tanks for this thread.smile
-nohmo

Not with a bang but a whimper

May 13, 2010 @ 12:10 AM
hools

i've been meaning to buy a DSLR for almost two years, until recently when i finally pulled the trigger after contemplating for that long lol. it caught my eye for the same reason as the OP; i was very inspired in seeing everyone's shots.

all my life i've grown out of hobbies very quick, but that's not the case with photography for me. yeah, i'm still a beginner, but i've been progressing very quick and get a lot of positive feedback from my friends and family. i even "study" my manual and magazines to improve my shooting.

definitely don't mean to make it a career of any sort but i know it'll be a long-term, if not life-long hobby of mine. i know i'll always want to improve and learn new techniques
May 13, 2010 @ 04:03 AM
365Hustle

I'm a multifaceted person. I don't know if its for me but it's the closest thing I can do to creating a piece of art. I have a lot of fun goin out and shooting cause something that looks normal can look like a work of art through the lens. It's also a challenge to get better smile
May 13, 2010 @ 06:26 PM
bullets

be like terry, use a simple camera and do work lol
May 16, 2010 @ 01:18 AM
ReZ

it's fun taking snaps and looking back on the memories. no homo
May 17, 2010 @ 10:30 AM
Anti-Hero

I highly advise you to get into photography, there are just too many reason to tell you why. Off the tops of my head, the hobby never gets old as long as you keep busy with it; there is always something to take pictures of; it could turn into a profession as opposed to a hobby; and there is always a new element to learn/master in photography.

I started in my freshmen year of highschool and it took off from there. I started because of my background in skateboarding, and I always loved flipping through photobooks or The Skateboard Mag and look at the amazing shots, I am also terrible at drawing, so I took up photo and I've ben happy ever since.

I still take photos to try to complete my 365 project and just to document my life day to day as best I ca, while still keeping it artsy.

check the link to my blog and you can check out some of my 365 photos or just random shots.

flickr.com/leavetownrightnow/

May 18, 2010 @ 09:45 AM
swistak

Don't get a DSLR though, that's what I think. If you are really serious about the stuff you could learn about the composition, metering, etc on your point and shoot. Instead spend a less money on a cheap old film SLR and a good prime lens. What I used to do was walk about with my film camera and p&s to take a pic with a p&s to see if it worked and then work on it with my slr
May 18, 2010 @ 10:00 AM
Anti-Hero

^^ Working with film is something you should do if you are getting into a class. There is too much to learn about film that could cripple someone's learning without a proper classroom to learn it in. Where as in digital he can do post-production and change his ISO without switching film types.

EDIT: Plus he is only doing it as a hobby, film is really only for people that are getting serious about their photography.

flickr.com/leavetownrightnow/

May 18, 2010 @ 11:59 AM
swistak

I was more aiming at the part where he was unsure if he's gonna maintain the interest. Film photography is cheaper in the short run, you can get films developed and scanned by your local lab, and whether you are working with raws or well scanned tiffs does not make much difference. On the other hand used analog gear is cheap, you could get non auto focus canon for less than 50 bucks. If you get bored - sell it off on ebay for the same price, give it to your younger sibling, whatever, no harm done.

After all all you need is a lens and something a light meter. Even old nikons f3s come with those, set the iso on your film and off you go taking snaps. I wish I had gotten my analog before a DSLR, there's so much unnecessary stuff on them (yes I am one of those geeks who dream of leicas)

The reason is - film is cheaper to get into, you can see if you like it. If you do then you can splash for a dslr, otherwise you end up with expensive piece of kit which doesn't get much use apart from an occasional family and friends picture.
May 18, 2010 @ 06:11 PM
LukeCrossan

i started around a year ago borrowing one of schools cameras, took a few pictures, got told i had talent by teachers, got my own camera, got a macbook, downloaded photoshop, now its pretty much all i spend my time doing.
January 16, 2011 @ 06:12 PM
Vader&Prowler

I don't box myself into being an artist but I do what makes me feel good like illustrate and walls, shit like that. Photography was just a way of expanding on creativity if I had any. It's a different ball game to me photography.

I shoot primarily people on the street(spontaneously, sometimes i do ask for a frontal in which i need to ask for their permission) and its great, when you end up communicating with the people you've shot and sometimes they have the story of their lives.

I'm only eighteen so I've got time to develop and all that.

(If you've got the time)
VADER X PROWLER
January 17, 2011 @ 12:39 AM
fukmode1

Photography is dope.
January 17, 2011 @ 03:42 AM
jamestapoz

While I was growing up my Dad gave me his Canon AE-1 to film family parties; ever since then I was interested in photography. I took photography classes back in middle school and learned my way around the dark room. Eventually I converted to digital.

While my style of shooting has changed and many times i'm frustrated with my shots, I keep on going because I'm 100% certain a friend or family member needs their memories captured.

As for advice, I say shot 35mm film. You are forced with X amount of shots, and makes you realize that every shot matters and cannot go to waste. While I shot film I learned composition and lighting.

Please login first to reply.