Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
April 3, 2010 @ 06:20 PM
SimpleAsAbc

I know that white balance can be used to change the look of a photograph but i have no clue on how to do it.
The sort of effect im going for is that like vintage effect, like the photo has been taken on a film camera ?
I know it can be done on photoshop but im looking to use as little photoshop as possible.
Im not sure if vintage effect is the right way to describe it but the photos have like a yellow / green tint to them.

*Oh yeah , if it helps im using a d5000 , not the best thing i know.

April 3, 2010 @ 07:33 PM
MynamesnotRick

For the most part using photoshop, lightroom, gimp or any other photo editing program is the best and most efficient way to get a "vintage" effect.

You can do it somewhat in camera but it wont be the full effect.
To do it in camera you need to manually change your white balance settings.

So if you are shooting something in tungsten (most indoor lighting) change the white balance to daylight and see what you get.
If you are shooting in florescent change the white balance to tungsten and see what you get.

I am not aware of the settings on the d5000 but on some cameras you can change the white balance temperature to fine tune the white balance you want. So something that is 3000k will be drastically different than 8000k. Again this is based on what lighting condition you are in.

As with digital, allow your yourself to go through a trial and error phase with experimenting with that.

However, keep in mind to get the real vintage effect you need to get a photo editing program.
Most DSLR's do not offer the vintage effect as a an option in camera (some of the newer point and shoots do though).
April 4, 2010 @ 12:53 AM
TTHX

changing the white balance may work in some situations, but it'll never give you that true vintage look.

best way to do this is to play with your curves. Increase the higher ends for the reds and greens, then do the inverse for the blues.

after this, add a solid colour layer over top of this (will add the effect much like changing the white balance you seek). probably best would be a bright pink/yellow/magenta. change the opacity to around 4-5% and viola.

http://tonyhoangphoto.com

April 4, 2010 @ 03:22 PM
mynameismcallister

I'm trying the same thing with my new camera 550D,
I can manual set the white balance, but i'm not sure what settings are the best for it

Mister McCallister!

April 4, 2010 @ 11:01 PM
lawlercon

you're gonna wanna post-process your white balance effects.

Please login first to reply.