December 27, 2009 @ 04:00 PM
Homeless

www.flickr.com/photos/hoyitschang/sets/72157623081643602/

i have a feeling this is totally not the place to get criticism but might as well. let me know what you guys think. i want to take off about 2 or 3
December 27, 2009 @ 07:41 PM
Homeless

this is totally not the place to get criticism

vvv ;)
December 28, 2009 @ 03:01 PM
indirectdelete

Ur da best fotografir evar yohawn!
December 28, 2009 @ 04:56 PM
Nigga Man

*yawn* Shit is mediocre and generic
December 28, 2009 @ 05:12 PM
Homeless

coming from a forum that doesnt know a thing about fine and conceptual art i cant say i didnt see it coming.

"I went on to Flickr and it was just thousands of pieces of shit, and I just couldn’t believe it. And it’s just all conventional, it’s all cliches, it’s just one visual convention after another." - Stephen Shore

food for thought.

vvvv yeah theyre all film. and thats one of two things that are bugging me. i feel like i should add another mini series and the other thing is the obvious change in camera in the construction series. the first 3 you can obviously tell their from a holga in comparison to the other ones
December 28, 2009 @ 06:55 PM
CONQ

I dont like how there are only two themes, sleep and construction... I feel like you should spread the love more brotha

are these film?
December 29, 2009 @ 12:15 AM
AW

I dont like how there are only two themes, sleep and construction.

this.

I think you should maybe add some more stuff that can show what you can do. Long exposure? Portraits? Macros? Landscapes? and etc. Im not a pro or anything and I thought your portfolio shots in general were good....but it just got boring really quickly. Good luck though! : )
December 29, 2009 @ 12:35 AM
Homeless

im pretty sure thats exactly what the schools im applying to dont want. all that technical stuff is usually assumed. The pictures of flowers, pets, homeless people, the eiffel tower, friends, city lights, hdr's, all that jumbo, theyve seen it a million times.
December 29, 2009 @ 04:27 AM
Denny Crane

I couldn't agree more, but none the less, I think the point is that what you have is too samey.
December 29, 2009 @ 05:21 AM
doug.

im pretty sure thats exactly what the schools im applying to dont want. all that technical stuff is usually assumed. The pictures of flowers, pets, homeless people, the eiffel tower, friends, city lights, hdr's, all that jumbo, theyve seen it a million times.

you're right about technical stuff being assumed. i've just finished my first semester at university in england studying purely photography and all of the work we were given was mostly based around producing creative ideas to solve briefs, with some technical stuff on the side, such as black and white darkroom etc.

i like your stuff man, you've got a good eye and it's always nice to find someone using film, sign of a photographer dedicated to the art form, but like others have said, i'm sure if you varied your subject matter you'd produce some more really good stuff. one other minor thing i noticed is that your shots have lots of dust on them from scanning the negs, which should have been removed in photoshop, no biggie though..

what 6x6 do you use by the way?

aanyway good luck with getting into a school man, im sure you will, and have a look at my flickr, it's quite empty since im only uploading recent work - www.flickr.com/photos/dandouglass

peace cool
December 29, 2009 @ 11:09 AM
Homeless

www.flickr.com/photos/hoyitschang/sets/72157623090322676/

i ended up subtracting a couple so i can add another series in now. just dont know how im going to do it. and yeah the dust is killing me haha.
December 29, 2009 @ 02:58 PM
quietstorm

You need variety.

http://sdstyle.tumblr.com/

December 29, 2009 @ 10:01 PM
East the Beast

construction needs more meat.. but your on to something with the sleep theme.... keep pushing towards that direction i think...

my opinion.
December 30, 2009 @ 03:59 PM
Alx

people always say we've seen it a thousand times , hdr's plants ect, but you have to be able to know it all, avoiding it wont improve your skills, however learning it and making something different will
December 30, 2009 @ 04:44 PM
almost1

there's no story here.

basisny.com

December 31, 2009 @ 02:49 PM
Homeless

My art-form involves a visual representation of social and economic observations, especially within my city. I use photography to capture an image for others , not only to view as a form of aesthetic, but to realize their standpoint on a particular subject or idea. Photography has the ability to capture a realistic image of a particular idea; however editable, the realistic representation limits my own biased outlook towards that idea. My art becomes a way for me to subtly voice my ideas meanwhile provoking the viewer to express their opinion towards the subject being portrayed. Photography succeeds in stimulating the shifts and changes within my own mindset as well. Often times projects will dive into a series of metamorphic changes as a result of those shifting perspectives on the subject matter being photographed. My photography is inspired by the strive to actualize my mindset on a variety of topics through the simple processes of documentation and observation; meanwhile doing the same for others.

Most of my work revolves around the documenting of the city I reside in; Santa Clarita. This city is unique in that it seems to epitomize the infamous "American dream". Santa Clarita appears to be a shelter from the harsh realities of the areas surrounding it. A habitat people strive to become a part of. However, the walls of security that define this city seem to be crumbling as Santa Clarita is fed into a mechanical process of urbanization. The rural landscapes constantly shift directionally to fit the needs of the increasing population of people who compete to dwell in this haven. As a result this haven ironically falls apart and reassembles itself into the same harsh reality that these people longed to escape from. What I wish to do if I am given the opportunity to study at USC's School of Fine Arts is to continue documenting this and other events in order to not only voice my opinion but more importantly stimulate awareness towards these subjects.

heres a bullshit artist statement that i sent to usc which might explain the construction to you.

im also not avoiding the hdr's and whatnot. i know how to do that but what good will it do. do i need perfectly tone mapped images of my friends to demonstrate their state of sleep or pictures of the very ripples in their skin?
January 1, 2010 @ 03:14 AM
CONQ

honestly that sounds all nice and everything, but cut the bullshit and tell them how you really feel..

they get hundreds of 'statements' that look exactly like yours
January 1, 2010 @ 08:25 PM
Shanklin

The only thing I liked about your portfolio were the tones. It didn't tell me a story, it didn't capture me. All I've got out of it is that you grab your camera and took random pictures.

This. It's boring. I dig the theme, but it seems like you could of done a lot better. I would of took pictures of sleep in everyday life, including animals, old people, children, anything sleep related---same for construction.

Basically, this shit is far from creative.

http://kevinshanklin.com/ IF YOU HAVE A FFFOUND.COM INVITE MSG ME

January 1, 2010 @ 10:02 PM
Homeless

yeahh except thats not my theme..

and if you read the second paragraph youd realize that neither is construction
January 2, 2010 @ 01:14 AM
almost1

i dig the idea conceptually but, i don't know for a portfolio. portfolios are supposed to showcase your best work along with variety, not so much concept based, just saying.

basisny.com

January 2, 2010 @ 03:08 AM
Shanklin

yeahh except thats not my theme..

and if you read the second paragraph youd realize that neither is construction

Either way its boring. And reading what the theme is about a picture defeats the purpose of taking one.

http://kevinshanklin.com/ IF YOU HAVE A FFFOUND.COM INVITE MSG ME

January 2, 2010 @ 03:36 AM
Homeless

no... it doesnt.

im pretty sure your guys' concept of fine art isnt computing with mine and the schools im applying to. as i said before im not surprised. might as well lock this.

This topic is closed, replies are no longer accepted.