Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
December 24, 2009 @ 09:52 PM
keebz!

Here's a new project I just finished with DJ Scratch (formerly of EPMD). The site is live now at ScratchVision.com. Since you guys liked the last process bit I put up, I thought I'd do another. This time just showing the header illustration portion of the site.

You can also view this (with the ability to zoom images) at my brand new blog I just set up at crackpixels.com/blog.

So here we go...

Note: All of my work is done digitally with a Cintiq drawing tablet. The two programs I used for this project were Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.

First, I open up a new document in Photoshop and I lay out the basic composition of the image to see how all of the elements relate with each other. I typically use a light blue brush during this process. This way I don't have to worry about messing up my clean sheet of "paper" with black ink and can get my ideas down faster. After a lot of erasing and repositioning, the rough draft is finished.

Next, I create a new layer on top of the rough draft, select black and outline the messy blue lines to clean up the drawing a bit.

Sometimes, if more work is needed, I create a new layer on top of the black layer to clean it up even more. In this case, I left it how it was. Next, I import the image into Illustrator for the outlining process to really tighten up the drawing. There are times I outline the entire drawing and there are times I outline only specific elements. This was a case of the latter. Only the character was outlined since I had plans to finalize the rest of the drawing using strictly Photoshop.

In Illustrator, I usually use a custom calligraphic brush set at a 70
December 28, 2009 @ 10:38 PM
HelloMrPerez

You are great at what you do, I really like your work

-Christian Perez http://Christianperez.me

December 29, 2009 @ 10:29 PM
keebz!

I appreciate that. Thank you very much.
December 29, 2009 @ 11:36 PM
stuffle

good work
December 30, 2009 @ 10:27 AM
rommell84

200+ layers, thats enough work alone. nice job man.

Please login first to reply.