300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
February 13, 2010 @ 04:47 PM
hippoh

well, i mean if you're going to go to school for anything you have to have a target on where you want to go afterwards. most of the problem i see with people that go to school is that they go and get their degree, but after that they find themselves doing something else that's irrelevant to their degree. most likely for different reasons such as they need a higher degree to get where they want (more school) or, they haven't found exactly what role they will play in whatever industry they apply themselves to.

say if you go to art school and you major in graphic design. you might finish school and say, hey, im going to wokr at so and so and be a graphic designer or im going to work at so and so and be an illustrator. unless you find that what you do is important to not only yourself but to other people as well, then that is probably where you will want to be. fine artists are different because they can apply their work to a different amount of things. i guess the point im trying to make is to do your research but try not to over analyze or you'll get lost.

im kind of in the same situation right now with what i want to do. i got my hands into a lot of things over the past years(graphic design, music, photography) and right now im tyring to figure out whether school is a way or just building myself and my work and learning how to properly market myself as a freelance worker and become my own boss.

look into the creative track for advertising, i think there might be something there for people who like art, pop culture etc.

look into the creative rols for advertising. there might be something there for artists who are inspired by mixed media type stuff.
February 13, 2010 @ 05:24 PM
Reginald Fairfield

Thanks a lot for the help man. I don't quite know where I want to go after I graduate but I think that will come with maturity and finding out what I'm good at. I want to do GD/ADV hopefully I will get a sense of where I belong and who needs me in the industry. Also, good luck with what you choose and maybe you can hire me one day XD
February 13, 2010 @ 10:40 PM
hippoh

if you decide to look into advertising, check out the school of miami. they seem to have a reputable program. google it. miami school of advertising.
February 13, 2010 @ 11:27 PM
illustrator101

Honestly this is ridiculous, DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T ATTENDED AN ART SCHOOL!!!!!
An art school can give you the true experience and knowledge that you'll need to go into the field. A portfolio might look amazing to you, but critiques and interaction between other artists is really important. Though they are expensive, you can take classes at community colleges and then transfer. Some accept the credits and some don't. It's stupid for people who haven't attended one or who say they know people that did, to say anything about it. I'm attending an art school, going for visual communications. It's an investment for something I'm passionate about. I will learn different techniques, improve on my art, and build a stronger portfolio. Transferring from a community college is the interesting part. My resume will be stronger compared to someone that did not attend an art school, not to mention the references I'll have from working artists who are my professors. Normal universities offer degrees in art and design as well as an alternate option. The point is that you will not learn the same on your own no matter what people say. They are being ignorant in saying you can. The interaction, the depth, the practice, everything is different. It's only up to you to decide if it's something that you LOVE and plan on doing for the rest of your life. Then invest in it as much as you can and just go for it. Higher level schools aka college is the way to go.
February 14, 2010 @ 02:03 AM
hippoh

your argument is only valid in certain cases.

there are a lot of people out there that have no school training, just pure hustle. they know how to create and market themselves effeciently, have the right connections, etc. the only people that really need school are people who dont think their proficient enough to make it without training themselves.

school is definitely an investment but only in the sense that its an option where you know it will actually benefit you. some need it some dont. look at bill gates, he only graduated with a high school diploma.
February 14, 2010 @ 11:33 AM
CONQ

I spoke with a few professional photographers and tried to gain some insight on this debate...

the general consensus (for my particular situation, im in business school but want to be a photographer) was just to become an assistant. When you assist a pro, you gain knowledge, experience and connections!

I plan on savin the money, buyin all the equipment i need while assisting in the process. Shit, this one guy told me he would pay me 40 bucks an hour to help in his shoots cool
February 14, 2010 @ 11:40 AM
Capt Baho

nice conq. lawyer, and a sidejob as a photopher? sounds good.

and btw, if you graduate from a good art school, such as like pratt, sva, FIT, or wringling, you'll definitely get hired by someone then anybody else trying to get a job. having that on your resume that you graduated from an ivy league art school will help you alot when someone is trying to hire you. you can prob get the same education outside of an art school, but you wont have anything on your resume.
February 14, 2010 @ 12:13 PM
10PIECE

They don't give a shit about what school you graduate from at the end of the day your portfolio what they look at the most. Whether you went to a decent school or self taught that just how the industry works.Generally its harder for self taught artist to break in the industry but if you smart and know how to use internet to your advantage then you can find work. People go to art school for different reasons some go for the knowledge, some go for the connection and working with other artists,and some want to figure out other areas that they might be good in. At the in of the day its about knowing what your good at and promoting yourself like any good buisiness because art is a business.

http://cargocollective.com/BrancheC http://www.behance.net/BrancheC

February 14, 2010 @ 03:30 PM
Reginald Fairfield

nice conq. lawyer, and a sidejob as a photopher? sounds good.

and btw, if you graduate from a good art school, such as like pratt, sva, FIT, or wringling, you'll definitely get hired by someone then anybody else trying to get a job. having that on your resume that you graduated from an ivy league art school will help you alot when someone is trying to hire you. you can prob get the same education outside of an art school, but you wont have anything on your resume.

I agree, Branche may have a point but I think the college you graduate from carries a certain amount of weight when getting a job. That doesn't mean you can slack off on your portfolio but I think going to SVA is opening doors for me.

Conq, that sounds great man! I'll think about that as a job when I get to college, I have a bit of experience in photography if anything; $40/hour is big bread.
February 16, 2010 @ 05:07 PM
indirectdelete

Got into Calarts!

I better see you there Johannez.
February 16, 2010 @ 08:09 PM
almost1

It all depends, most "ivy Leage" art schools (sva,pratt, etc) you pay for too much that you can get from another school, or own your own, what it comes down to is your portfolio, you can go to those expensive schools and still come out with a portfolio that is worse than someone that didnt even go to college.

This is true but not true, SVA is expensive for a reason if you have the "right" potential you can come out of these schools unstoppable and with great credentials. I go to SVA and its the best decision Ive made yet in my life, the teachers who teach there have experience of the grandest of sort. Idk just saying

basisny.com

February 16, 2010 @ 08:11 PM
almost1

Honestly this is ridiculous, DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T ATTENDED AN ART SCHOOL!!!!!
An art school can give you the true experience and knowledge that you'll need to go into the field. A portfolio might look amazing to you, but critiques and interaction between other artists is really important. Though they are expensive, you can take classes at community colleges and then transfer. Some accept the credits and some don't. It's stupid for people who haven't attended one or who say they know people that did, to say anything about it. I'm attending an art school, going for visual communications. It's an investment for something I'm passionate about. I will learn different techniques, improve on my art, and build a stronger portfolio. Transferring from a community college is the interesting part. My resume will be stronger compared to someone that did not attend an art school, not to mention the references I'll have from working artists who are my professors. Normal universities offer degrees in art and design as well as an alternate option. The point is that you will not learn the same on your own no matter what people say. They are being ignorant in saying you can. The interaction, the depth, the practice, everything is different. It's only up to you to decide if it's something that you LOVE and plan on doing for the rest of your life. Then invest in it as much as you can and just go for it. Higher level schools aka college is the way to go.

QFT any body whos saying art school dont matter youre clearly fools who have never been told their work sucks...being told this is what makes you an even better artist and this is where the quality artschool comes in...

SVA is expensive for a reason if you have the "right" potential you can come out of these schools unstoppable and with great credentials. I go to SVA and its the best decision Ive made yet in my life, the teachers who teach there have experience of the grandest of sort. Idk just saying

basisny.com

February 16, 2010 @ 09:45 PM
Reginald Fairfield

I look up to you Almost801 I remember talking to Josh about the pluses of choosing a school in New York. When I brought up SVA, he told me that a student there was responsible for their new logo. Lo' and behold that person posted right in this forum. It's a crazy small world.
February 17, 2010 @ 05:23 PM
almost1

I look up to you Almost801 I remember talking to Josh about the pluses of choosing a school in New York. When I brought up SVA, he told me that a student there was responsible for their new logo. Lo' and behold that person posted right in this forum. It's a crazy small world.

Haha thats what its all about man I appreciate it brother, SVA is the way to go I mean it is expensive but it will pay off in the long run. If u need advice or help with schools hit me up!

basisny.com

February 17, 2010 @ 08:29 PM
Reginald Fairfield

lol, my enrollment fee and housing deposit was paid like a month ago. I'm just waiting to see if I got any type of scholarship $$$
February 19, 2010 @ 12:15 AM
jdesouza

I understand completely with what everyones saying, but at the end of it unless you produce legit work your not going to be getting a good job,I go to art school and it has taught me a lot about what I want to do with my career as well as refining and developing my ideas and concepts which is the plus side to it, but all I was trying to get across is that there are people who havent gone to art school and are self taught that get paid more than people who graduated from art schools.
February 22, 2010 @ 04:20 PM
10PIECE

i got into SVA coolcoolcoolcoolcool

February 23, 2010 @ 03:49 PM
Reginald Fairfield

nice job!
February 23, 2010 @ 07:38 PM
Homeless

got into cal arts. stoked on life.
February 23, 2010 @ 07:40 PM
vinftw

congrats chang.

FS: http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/208326 WTAPS BDU

February 23, 2010 @ 07:40 PM
Capt Baho

nice
February 24, 2010 @ 10:13 PM
Reginald Fairfield

SVA stripe hoodie cam in yesterday XD
February 25, 2010 @ 12:02 AM
almost1

Congrats, what major?

basisny.com

February 25, 2010 @ 08:16 AM
TheSecondComin

Applying to SVA, RISD, CALARTS, SCAD, SAIC, PRATT, NYU Tisch.
for fall 2011.
photography.
February 25, 2010 @ 12:42 PM
10PIECE

Thanks guys yea I plan on going into illustration ,but im still waiting for other schools.However if i choose to go i don't know how i will be able to afford it, its kinda pricey and i have to find some scholarship money, but according to u guys and my friends who go there its worth it. What do you reccomend i do?

February 25, 2010 @ 01:07 PM
almost1

Go for it, SVA is expensive but with the teachers they have I think it's worth it.

basisny.com

February 25, 2010 @ 04:43 PM
indirectdelete

Congrats man, me too!

Now I gotta choose between Calarts, SAIC and SVA, and I haven't even heard from anywhere else I applied yet.
February 25, 2010 @ 09:13 PM
Reginald Fairfield

^^^nice indirect! man HB has talent, 4 people so far I think got into SVA for fall 2010; gj guys!
February 25, 2010 @ 09:23 PM
indirectdelete

This is so exciting. Such a tough choice for me, it's crazy. I'm gonna go visit Chicago and Cali at the end of next month to check out SAIC and Calarts. Right now I'm thinking I want to go to SVA though, cause I'd love to stay in NY. I also applied to Pratt, but SVA is definitely a higher choice for me. I also applied to SMFA, MICA, SCAD and Purchase. I might end up going to Purchase if I get in, because I really just don't have the money for 4 years at any other school. I'm not trying to take out loans/have to work a ton during college...
February 25, 2010 @ 09:32 PM
10PIECE

Yeah Purchase is mad cheap if u live in state 6000 as oppose to 38000 for some these art schools is a big difference

Please login first to reply.