Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
June 10, 2009 @ 12:58 PM
kidkorea

I just purchased the D-40 from a user on Sufu, here's his description:

This is a lightly used Nikon D40 6.1 MP DSLR. Don't let the megapixel count confuse you, this is way better than your average point and shoot even at the low (by today's standard) pixel rate. Less than 2000 clicks on it, includes the kit Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II zoom lens w/ 52mm Hoya UV filter for protection and 1 GB SD card to start you off. There is an LCD protector installed, and I will include a new one as well for you. Excellent entry-level camera and extremely user friendly.

Comes with everything else in the original box (manuals, starter CD, etc). I will ship USPS Priority w/ Delivery Confirmation, either double boxed (a bit more) or wrapped at buyer's choice.

He also said he can include a copy of Photoshop CS2 as well as the plugins for the D40.

All this for $333 shipped...good deal or no? (I already bought it but just wondering).

Anyhow, here's my real question. Obviously I would have to keep shooting with it to learn more about it but are there any recommended books/articles/magazines there are to improve my knowledge of using the D40 or just about taking photos in general? Any recommended literature would be appreciated, cheers.

ii-se.co Instagram: @iiseSEOUL Search "iise" on Facebook and like the page to support!

June 10, 2009 @ 03:06 PM
sgt H

my pops is bringing me over some CDs that he said "will help me" with my D60 (pretty much same thing). its probably just some software but ill let you know
June 10, 2009 @ 08:18 PM
EYETOGRAPHY

Well if youre in college i would recommend taking a photography class. If a digital photography class is available I say go for it. Alot of people here will tell you to forget the class and learn on your own thats cool if it works for you but to get a good grasp on basic knowledge of photography take a class. If you're incline to doing it yourself the first step is reading the users manual.
June 10, 2009 @ 08:28 PM
kidkorea

^ Will def. read the user manual thoroughly before I start toying around with it.

I graduated from college this past semester sad

Wanted to take a photography class but had no time to fit it into my schedule.

ii-se.co Instagram: @iiseSEOUL Search "iise" on Facebook and like the page to support!

June 10, 2009 @ 08:31 PM
EYETOGRAPHY

well if you just graduated you could go to a local JC and try there. Or do you have something lined up as far as work is concerned? But def step 1 open the manual.
June 10, 2009 @ 08:37 PM
kidkorea

JC?

I'm going to sign up for some photography forums or something and possibly read some books.

Any book recommendations anyone?

June 10, 2009 @ 08:59 PM
Homeless

jc means junior college. community college. id recommend the same thing. most photo classes unless its like history of photo dont require a textbook so it wont cost you too much.

you should just google what aperture ,shutter speed ,iso, white balance and metering are. of course just reading it can only help you to a certain extent. go and toy with your camera once you read up on those.
June 10, 2009 @ 09:01 PM
kidkorea

^ Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I do not have money to spare to register for classes. Reading books about photography, the internet, and playing with my camera (when it arrives) will be the main contributors to my learning.

Again can anyone recommend me any books?

And also is how much I paid for my camera a decent deal?

June 10, 2009 @ 09:58 PM
Hamez

understanding exposure is a great book which will cover all the basics for you.
June 10, 2009 @ 11:19 PM
Ryan

Hey, the D40 was my first Nikon after switching from Canon. Its a great camera to start with. Depending on how much you get into it you may or may not grow out of it. I still use and love mine. great battery life, good lcd, out of camera jpegs are great. I also use a D2Hs btw. What lens did it come with ? I'm assumming the 18-55 ? which is a good basic lens to start out with. before you go all crazy buying stuff for it, id say use whatever came with it until youre finding that youre at the limit of your equipment, NOT your abilities. Nothing cracks me up more than people who buy d90s and d300s and just leave everything in auto or P

also invest in a good memory card, like a sandisk. a 4gb card can hold over a 1000 jpegs on highest resolution iirc

lemme know if you have any other questions..
June 10, 2009 @ 11:20 PM
Ryan

also forgot, the d40 has a great help feature, theres a button you can press with a ? on it when youre going through the manuals. it gives you a brief explanation as to what selecting it will do.
June 11, 2009 @ 02:29 AM
1neSTixNJ

Idk if it was mentioned above but kenrockwell.com has been a great resource for me personally, so maybe check that out if you have some free time.
June 11, 2009 @ 08:18 AM
kidkorea

Hey, the D40 was my first Nikon after switching from Canon. Its a great camera to start with. Depending on how much you get into it you may or may not grow out of it. I still use and love mine. great battery life, good lcd, out of camera jpegs are great. I also use a D2Hs btw. What lens did it come with ? I'm assumming the 18-55 ? which is a good basic lens to start out with. before you go all crazy buying stuff for it, id say use whatever came with it until youre finding that youre at the limit of your equipment, NOT your abilities. Nothing cracks me up more than people who buy d90s and d300s and just leave everything in auto or P

also invest in a good memory card, like a sandisk. a 4gb card can hold over a 1000 jpegs on highest resolution iirc

lemme know if you have any other questions..

What's a D2Hs? Yea the on I purchased only comes with a 1gb card, I'll upgrade that to a 2 or 4gb one. You recommend Sandisk? What does it mean when you say "out of camera jpegs"? As you can see I have no experience at all.

And yes I've read a review from kenrockwell, I will definitely look into more of his online articles to get a better understanding of my camera.

Anyone recommend a decent tripod?

June 11, 2009 @ 09:36 AM
1neSTixNJ

what kind of pics do you plan on taking? You can get a sturdy, heavy duty type of tripod or something more compact for travel. depends on your needs.
June 11, 2009 @ 11:26 AM
Jones

This book comes highly recommended, it'll help out tons:

www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244737531&sr=8-1

Oh and I highly suggest shooting in RAW format instead of just regular JPG. A much bigger memory card would be needed, but you'll be able to do so much more to your images in the processing stage and the end product will be much better. You already have CS2, so why not?
June 11, 2009 @ 12:11 PM
Brosef

^ Understanding Exposure is a great book, I got it when I first started out and it's helped a lot. I have a D40 also, it's a pretty basic camera. There's a lot of sites that have tips on composition, basics, shutter speed, iso, etc. This site has a bit of tips on photography. digital-photography-school.com/ I also have seen books specifically on the D40/D40x; the D2H is a more advanced camera it's 2 steps down from a D3, I think.
June 11, 2009 @ 02:07 PM
sgt H

This book comes highly recommended, it'll help out tons:

www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244737531&sr=8-1

Oh and I highly suggest shooting in RAW format instead of just regular JPG. A much bigger memory card would be needed, but you'll be able to do so much more to your images in the processing stage and the end product will be much better. You already have CS2, so why not?

what is the difference between shooting in RAW and JPG, im just using jpg for my d60 right now, im sure i have room for the memory cause i have a 8gb memory card
June 11, 2009 @ 05:20 PM
bonerpatrol

just take pix and read the manual
i tried shooting in raw for a little, but imo it's not worth it for every day stuff
June 12, 2009 @ 11:14 AM
Jones

what is the difference between shooting in RAW and JPG, im just using jpg for my d60 right now, im sure i have room for the memory cause i have a 8gb memory card

It's pretty much having a digital negative where you have so much more control over the picture in the processing stage.
June 12, 2009 @ 01:26 PM
Brosef

It's pretty much having a digital negative where you have so much more control over the picture in the processing stage.

so trueee I shoot in raw at all times
June 12, 2009 @ 02:45 PM
Ryan

What's a D2Hs? Yea the on I purchased only comes with a 1gb card, I'll upgrade that to a 2 or 4gb one. You recommend Sandisk? What does it mean when you say "out of camera jpegs"? As you can see I have no experience at all.

And yes I've read a review from kenrockwell, I will definitely look into more of his online articles to get a better understanding of my camera.

Anyone recommend a decent tripod?

the D2Hs is one of Nikon's older pro bodies. its been replaced by the D3 series at this point.
i like sandisk and lexar. out of camera meaning you didnt shoot it in raw and the camera did all the post processing and compressing
June 13, 2009 @ 12:48 AM
lc21

Go on youtube there's a bunch of videos that'll teach you how to use the camrea making special effects. And you can always read online tutorials.
June 13, 2009 @ 08:20 AM
sporks

Nice choice on the D40. I recently just got mine too. I recommend that you should just go down to your nearest library and find books on cameras and how to use them etc.. and have a read. They should be decent and give you a few tips and just have a play-around on your camera.
June 15, 2009 @ 01:06 PM
inadequate

i just got a D40 too, small world.

what 'shooting mode' do you guys use for everyday shots? like taking pics of your friends chillin for example
June 18, 2009 @ 07:21 AM
Ra-u

Im considering getting a d40. I was looking at a canon g10 today but after reading a few reviews it seems like the d40 offers a lot more and for a similar price. Ill only be using it for everyday shots / blogging etc..... think its s good choice??
June 18, 2009 @ 07:39 AM
Shifty

^ definitely. d40 all the way. pound-for-pound imo its the best camera in the market today. theres a thread about this, go check it out.
June 22, 2009 @ 09:40 AM
shawnhosea

I was thinking of getting the D40, but my photographer for my line said i would need the extra mega pixels, so go for the D60. I'm still not sure what to do.

http://www.shawnhosea.com/

June 22, 2009 @ 01:31 PM
kidkorea

Just got my d40 in today. I've read a few pages of the manual and realized how much I DONT KNOW about photography and dslr's. Wow, I'm gonna be reading this shit all day! Really excited to learn though.

June 22, 2009 @ 01:53 PM
sgt H

just play with the shutter speed and aperture
June 22, 2009 @ 07:26 PM
kidkorea

So i've taken a couple of shots and on some of the pictures I take, the areas that are really white like blink black every other second or so.

What is this exactly?

Please login first to reply.