Sign up for our newsletters
Receive the latest in Footwear, Fashion, Music and Creativity in our newsletters.
The Wiley Residence in New Canaan, Connecticut was originally designed by Philip Johnson in 1953. The marvelous mid-century modern house appeared like a glass pavilion cantilevered above a stone podium and included an adjacent pool and barn. This project by architects Roger Ferris + Partners renovated the house and barn for its new owner, adding a pool house and garage to create a synthesis of old and new among the lush foliage. The 19th century barn was turned into an art gallery, presenting a solid black contemporary counterpoint to Johnson’s glass house, while the pool house and garage recede into the hillside with a single exposed wall recalling the plinth of the original structure.